Help understanding a relativity train

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative speed in special relativity and how it affects the perception of movement. It also touches on the idea that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and how it applies to scenarios involving a person running on a moving train. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of outside resources to learn more about the topic.
JH27
Hi all,

I've read some references to an example of a person on a train using a flashligt and one outside the train also using a flashlight and as I understand it both flashes would travel at the same speed even if the train was moving?
Also as I understand nothing can travel faster then the speed of light?

But suppose then that you are on a train traveling just 20 km/h below the speed of light and then started running down the isle at 30 km/h wouldn't you go faster then the speed of light then?

...also as more energy is needed to accelerate closer to the speed of light, would you expell more energy(calories) running down a train that was moving fast than running at the same speed down a train that was moving slower since your combined speed would be closer to the speed of light?

Hope I am making any sense :biggrin: Just trying to wrap my head around this...

Physics news on Phys.org
From the runner's point of view (or frame of reference) it isn't they who are moving, but everything else. That means that YOU wouldn't feel any different than you normally did and everything you did would be normal. However, when you look at the outside world at that speed it is VERY different. Everything in your direction of travel is severely distorted and blue shifted, while everything behind you is severely redshifted.

Now from you're perspective on the train, everything in front is approaching you at 20 Km/h under the speed of light. If you ran down the isle at a local speed of 30, then you WOULDN'T see everything coming at you at 10 KM/H over the speed of light. Instead everything would distort slightly more and you would measure it still being under the speed of light, just a bit closer to c than it was, but still under it. If you somehow kept accelerating you would find that no matter how fast you tried to go, nothing would be coming at you at the speed of light. Each increase in you're velocity would net you a smaller and smaller actual increase in speed. Note that this is all from YOUR perspective. It's kind of complicated and i suggest you hit up wikipedia or do a google search and try to learn some basics of relativity.

JH27 said:
I've read some references to an example of a person on a train using a flashligt and one outside the train also using a flashlight and as I understand it both flashes would travel at the same speed even if the train was moving?
Also as I understand nothing can travel faster then the speed of light?
Both correct.

JH27 said:
But suppose then that you are on a train traveling just 20 km/h below the speed of light and then started running down the isle at 30 km/h wouldn't you go faster then the speed of light then?
No, if the speed of the train relative to the ground is u, and your speed relative to the train is v, special relativity says that your speed relative to the ground isn't u+v, but

[tex]\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

Try it out with your numbers, and you'll see that it's less than c.

JH27 said:
...also as more energy is needed to accelerate closer to the speed of light, would you expell more energy(calories) running down a train that was moving fast than running at the same speed down a train that was moving slower since your combined speed would be closer to the speed of light?
No, the speed of the train is irrelevant for how hard it's going to be for you to run at a given speed relative to the train.

JH27 said:
Hope I am making any sense
The questions make sense, but they've been asked and answered many, many times before. You might want to look around and see if you find anything interesting in older threads.

Related to Help understanding a relativity train

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental principle in physics that explains how objects in motion behave in relation to each other. It includes two main theories: special relativity and general relativity.

2. How does special relativity apply to a train?

Special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that if a person is standing on a moving train, the laws of physics will appear the same to them as if they were standing on the ground. This is known as the principle of relativity.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. In special relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds, causing time to slow down for that object in relation to a stationary observer.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in relativity?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity. According to special relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This led to the famous equation E=mc², which explains the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light.

5. Can relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used to accurately predict and understand various physical phenomena in our daily lives. For example, GPS systems must take into account time dilation due to the satellites moving at high speeds in space in order to accurately provide location information on Earth.