How can I track positions from acceleration values?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with plotting the track of a toy car using acceleration values. Possible solutions are suggested, such as using numerical integration and the trapezoid rule to convert accelerations into velocities and positions. It is also noted that accuracy and frequency of the accelerometer outputs may affect the results.
dokkdurs
Hello

I'm new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone here can help me with a problem I'm having.

I am trying to plot a track on which a toy car is running.The voltage on the motor stay the same.An accelerometer feeds me values on x,y and z axis(the z values stay pretty much the same).My problem is this : tracking positions from acceleration values.I am receiving values in -5000 and +5000.I have tried some methods of plotting the track but with no real results.

Thank you and sorry if this threads violates any forum rules or if i am too noob

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer from also a n00b:

So your position is
[tex] x=x_0 + v_0 t + at^2/2 [/tex]
where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity (i guess you might want to set them to zeros), and then a is the acceleration that your device is giving, while t is the time. Does this help?

P.S. I've noticed you get x and y accelerations, but I would only expect x to be relevant, i.e. you only want to know how the toy car goes forward. Isin't this the case?

Last edited:
If the acceleration varies over time, you'll need to do some form of numerical integration to convert accelerations into velocities and positions. Accuracy and frequency of the accelerometer outputs will be an issue.

Given a set of accelerations versus time with time elapsed between sample of Δt, and initial velocity v[0], and posiion p[0], for each axis, then you can calculate velocities and positions based on average acceleration and velocity (trapezoid rule):

a[...], v[0], p[0] are given

v[1] = v[0] + 1/2 (a[0] + a[1]) Δt
p[1] = p[0] + 1/2 (v[0] + v[1]) Δt

v[2] = v[1] + 1/2 (a[1] + a[2]) Δt
p[2] = p[1] + 1/2 (v[1] + v[2]) Δt

This should get you close.

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it describes how quickly an object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

2. How is acceleration related to position?

Acceleration is related to position through the equations of motion, specifically the second derivative of position with respect to time. This means that acceleration is the change in velocity over time, and velocity is the change in position over time. Therefore, acceleration affects the change in an object's position.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is found by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

4. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. It can be measured using various instruments such as accelerometers, which detect changes in velocity, or by analyzing the motion of an object using mathematical equations.

5. What factors affect the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the presence of friction or air resistance. Acceleration is also affected by the direction of the force applied, as it must be in the same direction as the acceleration. Additionally, the acceleration of an object can be affected by external forces such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.