Transfer of heat by radiation and Second Law of Thermodynamics

In summary: If you have a power source then work is being done on the system and heat can be moved up a temperature gradient. However, I think that Nugatory's original suggestion is more likely. The ballast is probably faulty and heating up the surrounding structures.In summary, a fluorescent bulb can be used to heat something that was already warmer than the bulb itself. This is not a contradiction to the second law of thermodynamics.
Phynite
Second law of thermodynamics states that heat does not flow spontaneously from cold to hot bodies. But a cool fluorescent bulb is perfectly capable of heating something that had already started out being warmer than the bulb itself. Is this not a contradiction to the law ? :confused:

Science news on Phys.org
Phynite said:
But a cool fluorescent bulb is perfectly capable of heating something that had already started out being warmer than the bulb itself.

Can you describe the conditions under which this happens more clearly? I suspect that you're seeing the effects of heat from another source (for example, waste heat from a faulty ballast).

Phynite said:
Second law of thermodynamics states that heat does not flow spontaneously from cold to hot bodies. But a cool fluorescent bulb is perfectly capable of heating something that had already started out being warmer than the bulb itself. Is this not a contradiction to the law ? :confused:
The fluorescent bulb is not a purely thermal source. So the flow of energy from the bulb is not heat flow.

An even better example would be a laser. The temperature of the laser device used to cut steel is much less than temperature of the steel that the laser strikes. But this does not violate the second law since the energy flow from the laser to the steel is not a transfer of thermal energy.

AM

Nugatory said:
Can you describe the conditions under which this happens more clearly? I suspect that you're seeing the effects of heat from another source (for example, waste heat from a faulty ballast).

No, there is no other heat source. The system contains only the bulb and an object that is hotter than the bulb.

Andrew Mason said:
The fluorescent bulb is not a purely thermal source. So the flow of energy from the bulb is not heat flow.

An even better example would be a laser. The temperature of the laser device used to cut steel is much less than temperature of the steel that the laser strikes. But this does not violate the second law since the energy flow from the laser to the steel is not a transfer of thermal energy.

AM

Then how about a system with two identical bodies of temperatures T and T/2 ?

Phynite said:
No, there is no other heat source. The system contains only the bulb and an object that is hotter than the bulb.
Then the bulb cannot be lit. Bulbs don't light if they are isolated like that.

DaleSpam said:
Then the bulb cannot be lit. Bulbs don't light if they are isolated like that.

I didn't mean that there is no power source.

Phynite said:

You forgot that key word "spontaneously" in this interpretation of the second law of thermodynamics. Think of "spontaneously" as meaning "without outside help". An example: In a couple of weeks my AC will be running 24/7, transferring heat from my cool house to the hot and muggy outdoors. This isn't a violation of the second law because energy is being used to facilitate that reverse heat transfer. The same applies to Andrew's laser and to your fluorescent bulb.

Phynite said:
Your posts are self-contradictory. The faulty ballast that Nugatory mentioned is part of the power source for a flourescent light. In response to that you said no there is nothing but the bulb. And now you mention that there is also a power source, which includes the ballast than Nugatory mentioned. Please post one scenario and don't keep changing things!

If you have a power source then work is being done on the system and heat can be moved up a temperature gradient. However, I think that Nugatory's original suggestion is more likely. The ballast is probably faulty and heating up the surrounding structures.

Phynite said:
Phynite, it seemed rather obvious to me that you were speaking about a working fluorescent bulb. Your question was a good one. The key to the answer is recognizing that the second law of thermodynamics prohibits spontaneous flow of a certain form of energy: thermal energy - from cold to hot. It does not prohibit the flow of energy in general.

AM

1. What is heat transfer by radiation?

Heat transfer by radiation is the transfer of thermal energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to transfer heat, unlike conduction and convection.

2. How does heat transfer by radiation work?

Heat transfer by radiation occurs when an object with a higher temperature emits electromagnetic waves, which are then absorbed by a cooler object. This causes the cooler object to increase in temperature, while the hotter object decreases in temperature.

3. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of the universe will always increase. This means that energy will always flow from hotter objects to cooler objects, and not the other way around.

4. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to heat transfer by radiation?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics governs the direction of heat transfer by radiation. Since heat always flows from hotter to cooler objects, this law ensures that the transfer of heat by radiation is a spontaneous process.

5. Can heat transfer by radiation violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

No, heat transfer by radiation cannot violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This law is a fundamental principle of thermodynamics and is always upheld in any heat transfer process, including radiation.