Can Demorgan's Theorem Help Solve This Boolean Function Problem?

• Thread starter asd1249jf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a boolean function using only And and Inverter Gates, and the use of Demorgan's Theorem to simplify the function. The attempt at a solution involves inverting variables and changing the type of gate, but ultimately leads to an incorrect conversion. The conversation ends with a suggestion to refer to a link for further help.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

F = xy+x'y'+y'z

Implement the boolean function using only And nad Inverter Gates.

Homework Equations

Demorgan's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

X' means inversion btw.

So I thought how you do this is to invert the variables, and change the type of gate.

Therefore, I had

(xy)(xy)(yz')

But if I actually use real numbers to check.. this conversion is wrong.

Am I looking at the demorgan's theorem wrong? Please give me any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you use xy to mean (x)(y) ?

If so you forgot to apply ((x)(y))' = x' + y'

If that doesn't make any sense it is because I made a bad guess at your notational conventions.

Crosson said:
Do you use xy to mean (x)(y) ?

If so you forgot to apply ((x)(y))' = x' + y'

If that doesn't make any sense it is because I made a bad guess at your notational conventions.

I'm sorry, let me clarify a little bit.

xy = x and y
x+y = x or y
(xy)(xy) = x and y anded with x and y

I think you're looking at the theorem wrongly alright. Care to explain how F = xy+x'y'+y'z became F = (xy)(xy)(yz')?

l46kok said:

So I thought how you do this is to invert the variables, and change the type of gate.

Therefore, I had

(xy)(xy)(yz')

But if I actually use real numbers to check.. this conversion is wrong.

Am I looking at the demorgan's theorem wrong? Please give me any suggestions

Does this link help? (we've used it in a couple recent threads similar to yours):

http://www.vias.org/feee/karnaugh_09.html

1. What is Demorgan's Theorem?

Demorgan's Theorem is a set of rules in Boolean algebra that describe how to simplify logical expressions. It states that the negation of a logical expression, when applied to each term, is equivalent to switching the logical operators and negating the entire expression.

2. What is the significance of Demorgan's Theorem?

Demorgan's Theorem is important because it allows us to simplify complex logical expressions into simpler ones. This makes it easier to analyze and evaluate logical statements, which is useful in fields such as computer science, mathematics, and engineering.

3. How do you apply Demorgan's Theorem?

To apply Demorgan's Theorem, you first identify the logical operators (AND, OR, NOT) in the expression. Then, you switch the operators and negate each term. Finally, you simplify the expression by using basic algebraic rules.

4. What are some examples of using Demorgan's Theorem?

One example of using Demorgan's Theorem is simplifying the expression ~(A ∨ B) to ~A ∧ ~B. Another example is simplifying the expression ~(A ∧ B) to ~A ∨ ~B. These examples show how the negation of a logical expression can be applied to each term and the operators switched.

5. Can Demorgan's Theorem be applied to any logical expression?

Yes, Demorgan's Theorem can be applied to any logical expression that contains the logical operators AND, OR, and NOT. It is a universal rule in Boolean algebra and can be used to simplify any complex logical statement into a simpler form.