Getting the average velocity from a parabolic curve

In summary, the question asks for the average velocity of a ball that accelerates down a ramp starting from rest and traveling 2m in 4s. The solution involves calculating average velocity using the formula (P2-P1)/(t), where P1 is the initial velocity (0m/s), P2 is the final velocity (x), and t is the total time (4s). The conversation also briefly mentions the misconception of confusing average velocity with average acceleration, and clarifies that the shape of the curve does not affect the calculation of average velocity.
theLHC

Homework Statement

A ball accelerates steadily down a ramp, starting from rest. It goes 2m in 4s.
What is the average velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i didnt attempt it because i didnt get it
i am thinking there is a typo and it is actually asking for the average acceleration, which i know how to do

here it is:

v1=0m/s
v2=x
d=2m
a=0.5m/s2
t=4s

so here is what i have

Aav= (P2-P1)/(t)
= (0-x)/(4)

now, i cannot go any furthur...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's asking for average velocity. Average velocity is total displacement over total time. It's not that hard.

Dick said:
It's asking for average velocity. Average velocity is total displacement over total time. It's not that hard.
i know that but the graph has a parabolic curve
so how do you derive the average velocity of a moving object from a parabolic curve?

Look up the definition of average velocity. Does the shape of the curve matter?

nvm
i was mistaken
sorry 4 the problem
:P

1. How do you calculate the average velocity from a parabolic curve?

The average velocity from a parabolic curve can be calculated by dividing the change in position (Δx) by the change in time (Δt). This can be represented by the formula:
Average Velocity = Δx/Δt

2. What is a parabolic curve and how is it related to velocity?

A parabolic curve is a U-shaped curve that is created by a quadratic equation. In the context of velocity, a parabolic curve represents the change in an object's position over time, with the slope of the curve representing the object's velocity at any given point.

3. Can the average velocity from a parabolic curve be negative?

Yes, the average velocity from a parabolic curve can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. The negative sign indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction with respect to the chosen coordinate system.

4. How is the average velocity from a parabolic curve different from instantaneous velocity?

The average velocity from a parabolic curve represents the overall change in an object's position over a specified time interval. On the other hand, instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, represented by the slope of the tangent line at that point on the curve.

5. What are the units of measurement for average velocity from a parabolic curve?

The units of measurement for average velocity from a parabolic curve are distance over time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. The specific unit will depend on the units used for the change in position and the change in time.