How to calculate required force to exert

• Thread starter Moenieb.David
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to move an object at a constant speed in a circle, you need a net centripetal force. This is given by the formula mv^2/r.
Moenieb.David
Hi,

I have a 5 kilogram weight that i want to move at a constant speed of 2m/s within a circle, thus the distance is negligible.
how do i calculate the force that is required to move the weight at that speed?

And yes, i am a beginner :-)
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force required is given by mv^2/r. What's the radius of the circle?

hi,
Thanks for the response
The radius is 150mm

question seems incomplete
please mention the complete question :D

Hi Selwys,

Thanks for the response, but what other info do you require?
What I wanted to know was how do I calculate the amount the FORCE required to move an object at a certain speed.
Lets say i want to move a 5000 gram object at 2 metres per second along a: a straight line and b: in a circle. How much force do I need to apply to the object to get that type of movement speed for the object
Does this make sense?

Selwyn said:
question seems incomplete
please mention the complete question :D

Hi Selwys,

What I wanted to know was how do I calculate the amount the FORCE required to move an object at a certain speed.
Lets say i want to move a 5000 gram object at 2 metres per second along a: a straight line and b: in a circle. How much force do I need to apply to the object to get that type of movement speed for the object
Does this make sense?

Moenieb.David said:
hi,
Thanks for the response
The radius is 150mm
Sorry, I must have missed this post. In any case, the centripetal force required is given by the formula in my earlier post.
Moenieb.David said:
Does this make sense?
No net force is required to move an object in a straight line at constant speed. (Consider Newton's First Law.) Of course, if friction or other forces are involved you'll have to overcome them.

To make something move in a circle requires a net centripetal ('toward the center') force.

Moenieb.David said:
Hi Selwys,

Does this make sense?
ah sorry sorry :D
i didnt really read the question
yeah the force applied can be given by m*v^2/r
well u should call it velocity since this speed has direction
nevermind...

1. What is the formula for calculating required force to exert?

The formula for calculating required force to exert is force = mass x acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do you determine the mass in the formula?

The mass in the formula can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure the weight of the object in kilograms. If the mass is not given in kilograms, it can be converted using the conversion factor 1kg = 2.2lbs.

3. What units should be used for force and acceleration?

Force is typically measured in newtons (N) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can the formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula can be used for any type of motion as long as the mass and acceleration are known. It can be applied to both linear and rotational motion.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating required force to exert?

Yes, there are other factors that should be considered such as friction, air resistance, and the direction of the force. These may affect the amount of force needed to produce a certain motion or change in motion.