Finding deceleration of a moving train

In summary, to avoid an accident, the engineer's reaction time must be less than 0.36 seconds in order to decelerate the locomotive to a speed below 12 m/s.
garcia1

Homework Statement

An engineer in a locomotive sees a car stuck
on the track at a railroad crossing in front of
the train. When the engineer first sees the
car, the locomotive is 250 m from the crossing
and its speed is 12 m/s.
If the engineer’s reaction time is 0.36 s,
what should be the magnitude of the mini-
mum deceleration to avoid an accident?
Answer in units of m/s2.

Homework Equations

I used the kinematics equation x = Vot + 1/2at^2 to find my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

By solving for a, I got the answer 3791.358 m/s^2. This was wrong, and I'm also confused as to whether it should be a positive or negative answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
garcia1 said:
I used the kinematics equation x = Vot + 1/2at^2 to find my answer.

What did you use for t? It should be the maximum possible t such that the train doesn't hit the car, but this value is hard to compute.

I used the .36s reaction time, but i see how this is wrong now. Should I be finding the final velocity of the train when the engineer hits the breaks? Is it even necessary to find this time if I can assume that the final velocity of the whole problem would be zero, since the train would stop?

garcia1 said:
I used the .36s reaction time, but i see how this is wrong now. Should I be finding the final velocity of the train when the engineer hits the breaks? Is it even necessary to find this time if I can assume that the final velocity of the whole problem would be zero, since the train would stop?

Find the total distance over which braking can occur (the train keeps moving at its initial velocity during the engineer's reaction period). The train must go from its initial velocity to zero in that distance. You probably know a formula that relates initial and final velocities with acceleration and distance...:wink:

So I did do that through this rationale:

x = VoT (since a = 0, the rest of this equation cancels out)

Solving for this, x = 12*.36, I got 4.32m.

From here, I subtracted this from the initial distance, 250m, to yield 245.68m.

With the new distance, I calculated the acceleration by using the final velocity as 0m/s, with the following equation:

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(x - xo)

Vf = 0, Vo = 12, x = 245.68, and xo = 0

I solved for a, getting -.29 m/s^2.
I used the answer +.29 m/s^2 since the problem asks for the magnitude. Does this seem right, or should I be using the negative answer as is for this problem?

garcia1 said:
I solved for a, getting -.29 m/s^2.
I used the answer +.29 m/s^2 since the problem asks for the magnitude. Does this seem right, or should I be using the negative answer as is for this problem?

Magnitudes are always positive. You're fine.

I don't know, this answer still came up wrong on my homework, but it seems like this is the way to do it.

garcia1 said:
I don't know, this answer still came up wrong on my homework, but it seems like this is the way to do it.

0.29 m/s2 looks like the correct answer to me. Even the significant figures match those for the given values.

1. How do you calculate the deceleration of a moving train?

The deceleration of a moving train can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the train to decelerate.

2. What factors affect the deceleration of a moving train?

The deceleration of a moving train can be affected by various factors such as the train's mass, the force applied by the brakes, and the friction between the train and the tracks. Other factors like wind resistance and gradient of the tracks can also impact the deceleration.

3. How do you measure the deceleration of a moving train?

The deceleration of a moving train can be measured using a variety of methods such as using a motion sensor to track the train's velocity over time, or by using a stopwatch to measure the time taken for the train to come to a complete stop. These measurements can then be used to calculate the deceleration using the equation mentioned in the first question.

4. What is the average deceleration of a train?

The average deceleration of a train can vary depending on factors like the train's speed, weight, and braking system. However, on average, a train can decelerate at a rate of 1-2 m/s². This value may differ for different types of trains and their respective braking systems.

5. How does the deceleration of a train affect its stopping distance?

The deceleration of a train is directly proportional to its stopping distance. This means that a train with a higher deceleration will have a shorter stopping distance compared to a train with a lower deceleration. Therefore, it is important for trains to have efficient braking systems to ensure a safe stopping distance is maintained.