Butterfly valve actuator time

In summary, a butterfly valve actuator is a device that controls the opening and closing of a butterfly valve. It uses either pneumatic, electric, or hydraulic power to rotate the valve disc, allowing for precise control of fluid flow. The actuator's operating time is determined by its design, which can range from a few seconds to several minutes. Actuators are an essential component in industrial and commercial settings, where they are used to regulate the flow of liquids and gases in pipelines and other systems.
ENRG
Hello; just need approximations here. 16 inch buttterfly valve with separate environments on each side. side one: clear water at about 8psi; side two: air at about 33 psi; Consider both pneumatic and electric actuatiion under ideal conditions.What is the approximate fastest time to open and the fastest time to close? We are looking at quarter turn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends on the actuator and valve/actuator construction. Get the spec sheet.

OK Thanks; I know this is a wide open question; first give me a good source online to help me get approximations; second, based on your knowledge of valves in general and more specifically actuators can I get an opening time within the 1 to 3 second range?

The manufacturer. Do you have a specific valve in mind? There are different types of actuators that can be used. On a 16in line, the actuator performances will vary greatly depending on loads. You can open a valve as quickly or slowly as you'd like, but it may not be reccommended.

When you say quarter turn you mean fully open, yes? Just wanted to make sure you mean that and not 25% "open".

Do a search, there are tons of vendors with different designs and different types of actuation. Contact vendors and ask them questions directly. There is no "average" time to open. Though I imagine on a 16 inch 150lb valve 3 seconds is pretty quick. Vendors will be your best bet.

Yes, butterfly valves can be made to open/close in something like 1 second or less even up to sizes in excess of 16" and pressures in excess of 1000 psi. These are always pneumatically actuated, not electrically though I don't know why they couldn't be in principal. In our industry, they're generally referred to as "slam valves", but they are simply butterfly valves made to open/close very quickly as a safeguard for equipment primarily. Jamesbury (Metso) makes these as do others.

http://www.jamesbury.com/public/brands/defaultframe.asp?type=Jamesbury

1. What is a butterfly valve actuator time?

A butterfly valve actuator time refers to the amount of time it takes for a butterfly valve to open or close. It is an important factor to consider when determining the efficiency and effectiveness of a butterfly valve in a system.

2. How is butterfly valve actuator time measured?

Butterfly valve actuator time is typically measured in seconds or minutes. It can be measured manually by using a stopwatch or can be automatically recorded by a valve positioner or control system.

3. What factors can affect butterfly valve actuator time?

The actuator type, size and design of the butterfly valve, as well as the fluid flow rate and pressure, can all affect the actuator time. Other factors such as temperature, valve condition, and system design can also impact the butterfly valve actuator time.

4. How can butterfly valve actuator time be optimized?

To optimize butterfly valve actuator time, it is important to select the right actuator for the valve and system requirements. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help to ensure smooth and efficient operation. Additionally, ensuring proper system design and control can help to minimize actuator time.

5. Why is butterfly valve actuator time important?

Butterfly valve actuator time is important because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of a system. A longer actuator time can result in slower response and potentially impact the overall functioning of the system. It is also important for safety and control purposes, as a quick and accurate actuator time can help to prevent system failures or accidents.