Alternative to a Proportioning Motorized Valve?

• Thread starter kunalvanjare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valve
In summary, the person is looking for a way to quickly control the opening of a valve based on feedback from a flow meter. They currently have a motorized proportioning ball valve, but it takes too long to complete its rotation. They are wondering if there are other types of valves that could do this faster, but have had trouble finding any that meet their requirements. The size and price of the valve is a constraint. The suggestion is to contact the manufacturer for a faster actuator or to re-examine process conditions to ensure stability.
kunalvanjare
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to control the opening of a valve as per feedback from an upstream flow meter. I have a motorized proportioning ball valve, but it takes about 10-15 seconds to complete it's rotation (one-way).

I need to find a way to expedite this so was wondering if there are any other type of valves (pneumatic or electrically actuated) that could do this in about half that much time?

I tried searching for some but couldn't find anything that fit my requirements. Please note that size & price is somewhat of a constraint.

Thanks,
KV

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are options, but most of them are expensive. Given your requirements, you may be able to contact the manufacturer of your valve and get a faster actuator. That could involve using a larger actuator with a gear change. It could just be a gear change (if the existing actuator has sufficient torque).

In addition, you want to re-examine process conditions and check if the piping, etc. can survive the quicker changes in flow/pressure !
And that your feed-forward control remains stable in the presence of disturbances.

1. What is an alternative to a proportioning motorized valve?

An alternative to a proportioning motorized valve is a thermostatic mixing valve. This type of valve uses a thermostat to automatically adjust the mixing of hot and cold water to maintain a consistent temperature.

2. How does a thermostatic mixing valve differ from a proportioning motorized valve?

Unlike a proportioning motorized valve, which relies on electrical signals to adjust the flow of water, a thermostatic mixing valve operates solely based on temperature. This can make it a more reliable and energy-efficient option.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermostatic mixing valve?

Some of the benefits of using a thermostatic mixing valve include precise temperature control, energy efficiency, and protection against scalding. These valves are also often more durable and require less maintenance compared to motorized valves.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a thermostatic mixing valve?

One potential drawback of using a thermostatic mixing valve is that it may be more expensive upfront compared to a motorized valve. Additionally, if the thermostat malfunctions, it could lead to inconsistent water temperatures.

5. How do I determine if a thermostatic mixing valve is the right choice for my application?

The best way to determine if a thermostatic mixing valve is suitable for your application is to consult with a professional plumber or engineer. They can assess your specific needs and make a recommendation based on factors such as water usage, temperature requirements, and budget.