Link to description of detector type for double-slit experiment

In summary, the interference pattern is cancelled when the polarizers are set to conflicting polarization.
DarioC
Can someone supply me with a link to a good article or book, or anything, that gives details on the type of detector that determines "which way" in experiments where the double-slit interference pattern is cancelled?

DC

Physics news on Phys.org
DarioC said:
Can someone supply me with a link to a good article or book, or anything, that gives details on the type of detector that determines "which way" in experiments where the double-slit interference pattern is cancelled?

DC

As a general rule, no one actually bothers to detect which-way information in these experiments. It is simply the idea that the setup is changed such that in principle, this information is available. That is enough.

For example: Sometimes, in a setup with a stream of photons going through a double slit, they place polarizers over each slit. When the polarizers are crossed, there is no interference. (When parallel, there is.) And yet of the final pattern, no one did anything to see which slit any particular photon went through.

While it walks further away from the intent of my question I cannot help but ask:
What then would be the result of placing polarizers in front of two distinct sources (such as visible lasers) that would normally produce an interference pattern.

Would the interference pattern go away if the polarizers were set to "conflicting" polarization in this case also? If so what does that tell us about use of these devices in the double split experiment?

If I might be so bold, for someone who has little formal training in physics, to say that it continues to amaze me that experimenters do things to particles or photons in transit and are stupefied when the object entity does not behave thereafter as per normal.

Thanks for finding time to respond. I have found this an interesting subject for many years.

DC

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the purpose of the double-slit experiment?

The purpose of the double-slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and the concept of interference. It also helps to explain the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

3. What type of detector is used in the double-slit experiment?

The most common type of detector used in the double-slit experiment is a photodetector, which is a device that converts light into an electrical signal. This allows for the measurement and observation of the interference pattern produced by the two slits.

4. How does the detector work in the double-slit experiment?

The photodetector in the double-slit experiment works by detecting the intensity of light at different points on the screen behind the slits. It converts this light energy into an electrical signal, which can then be recorded and analyzed to observe the interference pattern.

5. Are there any other types of detectors used in the double-slit experiment?

While the photodetector is the most commonly used detector in the double-slit experiment, other types of detectors can also be used, such as a CCD (charge-coupled device) camera. This type of detector captures the entire interference pattern on a digital image and allows for more detailed analysis of the results.