Did Nobel Prize-winning physicist Niels Bohr believe in good luck charms?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of rituals and beliefs held by great scientists, particularly Nobel Prize-winning physicist Neils Bohr. The conversation includes a famous story about Bohr having a horseshoe nailed to his wall for good luck, despite not believing in its powers. The conversation also mentions the proportion of paranormal believers in different sciences.
Loren Booda
Who among the great scientists had rituals or beliefs that were more magical than logical? Which of the sciences claims the largest proportion of paranormal purveyors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a famous story. I don't know if it is true.

An American scientist once visited the offices of the great Nobel Prize-winning physicist, Neils Bohr, in Copenhagen, and was amazed to find a horseshoe was nailed to the wall over his desk.

The American said with a nervous laugh, "Surely you don't believe that horseshoe will bring you good luck, do you, Professor Bohr?"

Bohr chuckled. "I believe no such thing, my good friend. Not at all. I am scarcely likely to believe in such foolish nonsense. However, I am told that a horseshoe will bring you good luck whether you believe in it or not! How can one argue with such logic?"

http://www.laughbreak.com/stories/horseshoe_logic.html

I cannot speak for the personal beliefs of Niels Bohr or any other scientist. However, it is important to note that having a belief in good luck charms or rituals does not necessarily contradict a person's scientific beliefs or achievements. Many great scientists have had personal beliefs or practices that may not align with traditional scientific thinking, but this does not diminish their contributions to their field.

In terms of rituals or beliefs that may be considered more magical than logical, it is not appropriate to categorize or label the beliefs of individuals in this way. Each person's beliefs are personal and should be respected, regardless of their profession or field of study.

Furthermore, it is not fair to generalize or make assumptions about the proportion of paranormal purveyors in any particular field of science. Scientific inquiry is based on evidence and logic, not belief in paranormal phenomena. While there may be individuals in any field who hold paranormal beliefs, it is not representative of the entire field or its principles.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I believe it is important to focus on the contributions and achievements of individuals in their respective fields, rather than their personal beliefs or practices. Science is a diverse and constantly evolving field, and it is important to respect the personal beliefs of individuals while also upholding the principles of evidence-based inquiry.

1. What is a superstitious scientist?

A superstitious scientist is someone who holds onto irrational beliefs or practices in their research or scientific methods. This can include relying on luck or coincidences instead of evidence-based experiments, or believing in supernatural forces influencing their work.

2. How common are superstitious scientists?

There is no exact number, but it is believed that superstitious beliefs and practices exist in various degrees among scientists. Some studies have found that up to 50% of scientists admit to having superstitious thoughts or behaviors in their work.

3. What are some examples of superstitions in science?

Some common examples include avoiding the number 13, knocking on wood for good luck, or using lucky charms or talismans during experiments. Scientists may also have specific rituals or routines they believe will bring them success.

4. How does superstition affect scientific research?

Superstition can have a negative impact on scientific research by leading scientists to make decisions based on irrational beliefs rather than evidence. This can result in flawed experiments or biased results, ultimately hindering the progress of science.

5. How can scientists avoid superstitious beliefs and practices?

The best way to avoid superstitious beliefs and practices in science is to prioritize evidence-based methods and critical thinking. Scientists should also be aware of their own biases and regularly evaluate their research methods to ensure they are based on logical and empirical reasoning.