Understanding Multi-Decay Chains: Basic Explanation & Diagrams

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a first year bridging course lab where students are struggling with understanding multi-decay chains in relation to radiation. The individual seeking help expresses feeling like they are not an effective teacher and asks for resources to help the students. Some recommendations are given, including a demo using pebbles to visually explain the concept. The importance of understanding the students' thought process is also emphasized in order to effectively teach the material.
big man
Hi guys,

I'm taking a first year bridging course lab and so the labs are really simple, but the students have no Physics knowledge. They are dealing with radiation mainly, but some are struggling with the concept of Multi-Decay chains. They have a lab that has to do with Parent decaying to the daughter, which then decays to a stable grandaughter (the program draws graphs of vairous half-life situations). Anyway even after I explain it to them I feel that they are still lost. As a result I realize I'm probably not the best teacher, but I'd appreciate it if any of you guys knew of any good sites that give a real basic description of multi-decay chains, with diagrams illustrating transient, secular and no equilibrium.

I feel bad that I haven't been able to make them understand this too well and I really want to help them as much as possible.

Thanks for reading this.

Physics news on Phys.org
to fix the problem you must work out why your students don't understand. what concepts do they find hard, and how are they trying to visualize it... it is often a matter of knowing their "line of thoughts" that solves the problem.

In order to understand decay chains, one has to understand first order differential equations.

Try this -

http://jnm.snmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/20/2/162 (pdf)

This is pretty decent - decay chains toward the end

www.nuc.berkeley.edu/dept/Courses/NE-162/Lecture3-radioactivity.ppt[/URL]

Health Physics Society is generally a good site
[URL]http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/cat47.html[/URL]

And the IAEA
[PLAIN]http://www.iaea.org/programmes/ripc/ih/volumes/vol_one/cht_i_06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah mjsd you are right. That is what I have to do to fix the problem, but it is hard to get that out of a person. Most people don't want to feel stupid so they lie to you. But I should try harder to find out how they are thinking and what they are finding so difficult. This is the first time I've done something like this so I guess I'm not as efficient and good at communicating the theory to the students as I should be.

Thanks for the links Astronuc! There are some very good resources there that I'm sure will be of some help.

One of my instructors had a great demo of what multi decay chains were. He gave one person a pile of small pebbles and had that person give Person #2 a peblle at a specified rate. Person #2 then gave pebbles to person #3 at a different specified rate. He then went through various scenarios where person 1 transferred pebbles quickle but person 2 transferred slowly, and then another where it was the opposite. This demo (albeit simple for a graduate level course I felt) is a great visual for those who don't understand multi-decay systems.

1. What is a multi-decay chain?

A multi-decay chain is a sequence of radioactive decays that occur in a specific order, starting with a parent nucleus and ending with a stable daughter nucleus.

2. How does a multi-decay chain occur?

A multi-decay chain occurs when a radioactive nucleus undergoes a series of decays, each producing a new nucleus that may also be radioactive and undergo further decay.

3. What is the significance of understanding multi-decay chains?

Understanding multi-decay chains is important in fields such as nuclear physics, environmental science, and medical imaging, as it allows us to track the decay and transformation of radioactive elements.

4. What are the different types of decay in a multi-decay chain?

The different types of decay in a multi-decay chain include alpha decay, beta decay, gamma decay, and electron capture. These processes involve the emission of particles or energy from the nucleus in order to reach a more stable state.

5. How is a multi-decay chain represented in a diagram?

A multi-decay chain is typically represented in a decay chain diagram, where the parent nucleus is shown at the top and the stable daughter nucleus at the bottom. Each decay step is shown as a separate branch, with the type of decay and the resulting nucleus labeled along the branch.