Infinite Integration of Fick's Second Law

In summary, Crank's source claims that the concentration C(x,t) in a plane source can be solved for by integrating Fick's second law. However, I am having difficulty understanding the concept, and might be making a mistake. Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot's Transport Phenomena discusses unsteady state heat transfer problems and provides the solution for C(x,t) in terms of an ordinary differential equation.
DiffUser2349
Hi everyone!

Recently, I've been trying to understand how the error function pertains to solving for concentration in a non-steady state case (with a constant diffusivity D), but I've been having some trouble with the initial assumptions. The source I am currently using (Crank's The Mathematics of Diffusion) claims that, for a the case of a plane source,

C = A/sqrt(t) * exp(-(x^2)/4Dt)

Where C is the concentration (with respect to position and time), x is the position (assuming one dimension only), t is the time, and A is an arbitrary constant, which is a solution for Fick's Second Law (dC/dt = D (d2C/dx2)). Crank (as well another source I've been using <http://www.eng.utah.edu/~lzang/images/lecture-4.pdf>) claim that this is solvable by integrating Fick's Second Law, but whether I am making a mistake or otherwise not understanding the concept, I can't seem to get this result to work. Could someone help me with this, either by providing the math, or a source which has this derivation? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
DiffUser2349 said:
Hi everyone!

Recently, I've been trying to understand how the error function pertains to solving for concentration in a non-steady state case (with a constant diffusivity D), but I've been having some trouble with the initial assumptions. The source I am currently using (Crank's The Mathematics of Diffusion) claims that, for a the case of a plane source,

C = A/sqrt(t) * exp(-(x^2)/4Dt)

Where C is the concentration (with respect to position and time), x is the position (assuming one dimension only), t is the time, and A is an arbitrary constant, which is a solution for Fick's Second Law (dC/dt = D (d2C/dx2)). Crank (as well another source I've been using <http://www.eng.utah.edu/~lzang/images/lecture-4.pdf>) claim that this is solvable by integrating Fick's Second Law, but whether I am making a mistake or otherwise not understanding the concept, I can't seem to get this result to work. Could someone help me with this, either by providing the math, or a source which has this derivation? Thanks again.
Substitute [itex]C(x,t)=\frac{A}{\sqrt{t}}f(\eta)[/itex] into the partial differential equation for Fick's second law, where
[tex]\eta=\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}[/tex]
By doing this, the partial differential equation should reduce to an ordinary differential equation to solve for f and a function of [itex]\eta[/itex]. This yields a so-called similarity solution.

I think a better book to use than Crank would be Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. You may have to look in the chapters on heat transfer, since diffusion problems using Ficks second law are mathematical analogs of unsteady state conductive heat transfer problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Fick's Second Law?

Fick's Second Law is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which molecules diffuse through a medium. It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to model the movement of particles.

What is the significance of infinite integration in Fick's Second Law?

Infinite integration in Fick's Second Law allows for the calculation of the total amount of particles that have diffused through a medium over a given period of time. This is useful for understanding the overall behavior of a system and predicting future diffusion patterns.

How is Fick's Second Law derived?

Fick's Second Law is derived from Fick's First Law, which describes the rate of diffusion of particles in a single direction. By incorporating the concept of concentration gradients and applying the law of conservation of mass, Fick's Second Law was developed.

What are the assumptions made in Fick's Second Law?

Some of the key assumptions in Fick's Second Law include: a constant diffusion coefficient, a homogeneous medium, and negligible external forces acting on the particles. These assumptions allow for a simplified mathematical model, but may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.

What are the practical applications of Fick's Second Law?

Fick's Second Law has many practical applications, including the study of gas and liquid diffusion, drug delivery in pharmaceuticals, and the analysis of diffusion in biological systems. It is also used in engineering and material science to understand the diffusion of molecules in different materials.