Definition of a unique function

by jonsploder
Tags: definition, function, unique
jonsploder
Jan27-14, 04:12 AM
P: 2
Hi all, I'm wondering whether an expression which is used to describe a function in a certain domain is a different function for the same expression with a differing domain.

For example: expression; x^2.
f(x) = x^2 for domain {1 < x < 10}
f(x) = x^2 for domain {10 < x < 11}

Are these two f(x)'s the same function, or different functions, by definition. I couldn't be sure by Wikipedia, and it's a difficult question to type into a search engine.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
tiny-tim
Jan27-14, 05:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi jonsploder! welcome to pf!
Quote Quote by jonsploder View Post
… Are these two f(x)'s the same function, or different functions …
they're different

they're both restrictions of the same function defined on the whole of R
jonsploder
Jan27-14, 05:33 AM
P: 2
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
I know that they are different, however I was wondering, by the most formal definition of a function, whether they are different functions, or if indeed the domain of a function constitutes its identity as a function.

tiny-tim
Jan27-14, 05:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167

Definition of a unique function

I know that they are different, however I was wondering, by the most formal definition of a function, whether they are different functions, or if indeed the domain of a function constitutes its identity as a function.
they're functions, and they're different

so they're different functions

the definition of a function includes its range and domain: different range and/or domain, different functions
pasmith
Jan27-14, 06:31 AM
HW Helper
P: 772
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
The domain and codomain are part of the definition of a function.

Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex].
economicsnerd
Jan27-14, 06:02 PM
P: 206
Quote Quote by pasmith View Post
Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex].
This definition is exactly correct. That should be your definition.

It's worth noting, however, that sometimes people get lazy about codomains and say [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal when [itex]A = C[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a) \in B\cap D[/itex].
pwsnafu
Jan27-14, 06:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 773
Quote Quote by economicsnerd View Post
It's worth noting, however, that sometimes people get lazy about codomains and say [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal when [itex]A = C[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a) \in B\cap D[/itex].
To explain why this definition is bad, consider
##f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}##, ##f(x) = 0##
##g : \mathbb{R} \to \{0\}##, ##g(x) = 0##.
Note that under the definition economicnerd gave these would be considered equal. However, g is a surjection while f is not.

Register to reply