Recommendations on science magazines/journals

• Thread starter Hypercubers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the individual is looking for a physics journal or magazine that is affordable and provides cutting edge news and research papers in general physics. They have found that popular magazines often lack evidence and have disturbing articles. They have heard about a special online discount for students on the "physics letters" journal but have not been able to find it. They are considering Physics Today, which covers news and current topics in various physics disciplines, and is available with a subscription to the American Physical Society for less than $6000.
Hypercubers
I am looking to subscribe to a physics journal/magazine which doesn't cost me 6000 a year, and that will keep me informed with cutting edge news on general physics and latest research papers being published, as well as having a good deal of proof in there. I am taking my last school year and probably heading towards an energetic engineering physics course next year.

Scientific american/new scientist... type magazines I just feel have to much bluf and to little evidence in them, they simply state things, most of the time simply out of nowhere and some times there are just utterly disturbing articles, which simply aim to be some kind of bogey man of science. I was told that there was a special online discount subscription to "physics letters" journal with a special discount for students that came out at about 60 pounds a year, I'm Spanish, so costs will have to be thought of as international ¿Anyone know anything about that? I've been looking but can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

NB: mods, a didn't know were to put this, so if you feel it isn't in the right place,feel free to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to your local university library and look at Physics Today. It covers news and current topics throughout physics disciplines. It is general interest but technical. It comes free with a subscription to the American Physical Society, which is somewhat more than $100, and maybe is available without the membership for less. In any case, <<$6000.

Related to Recommendations on science magazines/journals

1. What are the top science magazines/journals for researchers?

Some top science magazines/journals for researchers include Nature, Science, Cell, and The New England Journal of Medicine.

2. Do science magazines/journals have open access options?

Yes, many science magazines/journals offer open access options for researchers who want their work to be freely available to the public.

3. How can I find the most relevant science magazines/journals for my research topic?

You can use search engines and databases specific to your research topic or consult with your colleagues and mentors for recommendations.

4. Are there any reputable online science magazines/journals?

Yes, there are reputable online science magazines/journals such as PLOS ONE, eLife, and Frontiers in Science.

5. How do I know if a science magazine/journal is peer-reviewed?

You can check the journal's website or look for the journal's name in databases such as Web of Science or Scopus, which only include peer-reviewed journals.