Balanced incomplete block design

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of a balanced incomplete block design and the equations used to determine it. The person also mentions a dilemma in determining the value for block (b) and shares a solution using the "choose" equation. They also clarify the use of exclamation marks in mathematical equations.
Philip Wong
hi,
I've got an balanced incomplete block design, and I want to work out the efficiency of this design. In order to work out the efficiency I implied the following equations:
r=b*k / t
lambda = r(k-1)/ t-1
e= t*lambda / r*k

I got into a cliche of which to use to work out what to use for block (b), the cliche are:
compared three of eight different varieties of beer (i.e. 8 choose 3)

1) is block 8*3
2) is block 8chose 3, if so how can I work it out? hence I don't have a graphic calculator

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
alright I take that back! I just worked it out!
the equation you would used to work out how many blocks are there for BIBD is:

"a" choose "b" (i.e. 8 choose 3 in my case)
then: a!/k!(a-k)!
so: 8!/(3!*(3-8)!)

where ! just meant, a chain of multiplication. i.e. for 8! it would be 8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1, while 3! would be 3*2*1, and -5! would be -5*-4*-3*-2*-1

1. What is a Balanced Incomplete Block Design (BIBD)?

A Balanced Incomplete Block Design is a type of experimental design used in statistical analysis to determine the effects of multiple variables on a given outcome. It involves randomly assigning subjects to various groups, with each group receiving a different combination of variables in order to achieve balance and reduce bias in the results.

2. How is a BIBD different from other experimental designs?

BIBD differs from other designs, such as complete block designs, in that it does not require every possible combination of variables to be tested. Instead, it strategically selects a subset of combinations in order to balance the number of times each variable appears in the experiment, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

3. What are the advantages of using a BIBD in scientific research?

BIBD offers several advantages, including reducing bias in the results, increasing efficiency by testing fewer combinations, and allowing for the examination of multiple variables simultaneously. It also provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationships between variables and the outcome being studied.

4. How is a BIBD constructed and analyzed?

To construct a BIBD, researchers use a mathematical process called resolvable designs to determine which combinations of variables to include in the experiment. The data collected from the experiment is then analyzed using statistical methods, such as ANOVA, to determine the effects of the variables on the outcome.

5. In what fields is BIBD commonly used?

BIBD is commonly used in various fields of study, including agriculture, medicine, psychology, and marketing. It is particularly useful in situations where there are a large number of variables to be tested and where efficiency and cost-effectiveness are important factors.