I'm just obsessed with Star Trek. Anyone else?

In summary, the participants in the conversation discuss their love for Star Trek and the order of the movies and series. They also share their opinions on the Star Trek reboots and the portrayal of characters such as Khan. One participant mentions that the original Star Trek was excellent, while another disagrees and says it was entertaining but terrible. Another participant references a Tropic Thunder reference in relation to the portrayal of Khan. The conversation ends with a comparison between the over-the-top nature of the original Star Trek and the reboot.
Deleted member 498135
Ok so just for the sake of talking and I'm bored, can someone type the Star Trek list from oldest/top to new/bottom?

I'm just obsessed with Star Trek. Anyone else? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Ozlem Firat said:
Ok so just for the sake of talking and I'm bored, can someone type the Star Trek list from oldest/top to new/bottom?

I'm just obsessed with Star Trek. Anyone else? :D

Your first question describes George Takei.
In answer to your second question: no.

Though, I've gone to the theater only twice in the last 10 years.
Both were the new ST movies.
I may be a pathological liar.

OmCheeto ... :p (Y) k haha I don't bother going to the theatre... I just wanted the list from old to new ... So yeah... Is it weird I like Star Trek so much?

Pathological liar... B) hmmm...

You DO know how to use Google search, don't you ?

Even better, there are all kinds of Star Trek websites (Memory Alpha comes to mind) and the ever handy Internet Movie Database.

ozlem firat said:
ok so just for the sake of talking and I'm bored, can someone type the star trek list from oldest/top to new/bottom?

I'm just obsessed with star trek. Anyone else? :d

tos
tng
ds9
voy
ent

I gave the first Star Trek a chance... didn't really like it. Downloaded the second one which from what I understand is arguably the best one, and it's still pretty boring. I do have a passion for science, but its just not the kind of movies I like.

Yes I know how to use google... *Ahem*
Like I stated above, "JUST FOR THE SAKE OF TALKING" :) haha I liked the last one... Star Trek: into darkness.. (I think that's it)

I've been happy with the Star Trek reboots. Nicely done. Looking forward to the next.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've been happy with the Star Trek reboots. Nicely done. Looking forward to the next.
Same :D

Greg Bernhardt said:

Even though I love the original Star Trek 2 movie (The Wrath Of Khan), I thought they made Khan a more credible villain in the reboot.

Curious3141 said:
Even though I love the original Star Trek 2 movie (The Wrath Of Khan), I thought they made Khan a more credible villain in the reboot.
Yeah I agree :D

Greg Bernhardt said:

My brother didn't care for them. He said they were cliched. But he's been a movie fanatic his whole life. By my estimate of his claims, he's seen approximately 20,000 movies in the last 40 years. I asked him what he thinks about when he watches a movie. He says he thinks about how he would do things differently. I thought that was very strange.

Anyways, I would not call myself obsessed with the series, nor movies. Being old enough to have watched it from TOS to Reboot, I would refer to myself as being part of the ST family. To have it not continue on forever, would be very sad.

UraniumCatalys said:
I gave the first Star Trek a chance... didn't really like it. Downloaded the second one which from what I understand is arguably the best one, and it's still pretty boring. I do have a passion for science, but its just not the kind of movies I like.
The original was pretty much Gunsmoke set in space. No need to revisit those.

Star Trek was excellent.
Into Darkness was entertaining, but terrible.

Dear old Mr. Spock repeatedly pounding a mans face on the wing of a plane?
Admiral Robocop is another asshat with yet another another GIANT SPACESHIP.
[STRIKE]Sherlock Holmes[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Wolverine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Neo[/STRIKE] Khan is now an emotionless robot man, who regenerates with magic blood and doesn't feel pain, and knows Kung Fu.

He tasks me, he tasks me, and I shall have him.
I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia, round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up.

FULL POWER! DAMN YOU!

Last edited:
Likes RoundEarVulcan
xxChrisxx said:
Star Trek was excellent.

[STRIKE]Sherlock Holmes[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Wolverine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Neo[/STRIKE] Khan is now an emotionless robot man, who regenerates with magic blood and doesn't feel pain, and knows Kung Fu.He tasks me, he tasks me, and I shall have him.

I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia, round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up.
FULL POWER! DAMN YOU!
:D haha

Ozlem Firat said:
[...] the Star Trek list from oldest/top to new/bottom?
Well, any self-respecting trekkie should know the answer to this riddle:

What is the oldest body orbiting our Sun?

xxChrisxx said:
Star Trek was excellent.

[STRIKE]Sherlock Holmes[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Wolverine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Neo[/STRIKE] Khan is now an emotionless robot man, who regenerates with magic blood and doesn't feel pain, and knows Kung Fu.He tasks me, he tasks me, and I shall have him.

FULL POWER! DAMN YOU!

Oh, OK. I concede that a histrionic geriatric Rod Stewart lookalike who ad libs misquotes from Moby Dick is *much* more sinister. :rofl:

Darn it, I thought they should have had an Indian (South Asian) actor play the role. At least they didn't go full retard and have another white actor in brownface play Khan, like in the TOS (and perhaps less so in TWOK).

Extra points to anyone who immediately got the significance of the Tropic Thunder reference, a modern movie that did exactly that, damn the controversy.

BTW, I caught TWOK in the cinema during its first run, so it has a special significance for me. I remember being terrified of the Ceti eels when I was eight. But I still think the reboot version of Khan is slightly less of a joke. TWOK worked for its time because everything about it was just over the top - Kirk was over the top, Khan was over the top, so they were perfectly matched. Probably wouldn't work now as a modern movie (and not as nostalgia), because audiences are just more discerning (or jaded, if you like).

strangerep said:
Well, any self-respecting trekkie should know the answer to this riddle:
What is the oldest body orbiting our Sun?
I'm not a Trekkie, I'm a Trekker. :D

Ozlem Firat said:
I'm not a Trekkie, I'm a Trekker. :D

Are you this person?

This Girl Spent $30,000 Converting Her House Into… WHAT? I Don’t Know If This Is Nerdy Or Awesome.

Trekkie.pooper.room.2014.01.10.stardate.2027.jpg

I was going to go off, about money spent frivolously.

But after looking at the images, I changed my mind.

Fascinating...

-------------------------
Us oldsters have to slap our selves up the sides of our heads once in awhile; "There is no money in the future." :smile:

hi ozlem, I think you are from turkey. I am from turkey, too.
I watched star trek in 70s in my high school days, but now its out of fashion for me ! :)

I liked Voyager, enough to own all the seasons on DVD. I still watch them from time to time in marathon sessions. I've never spent much time on any of the others - though it is on my list of things to do.

When I was a wee cad, I watched the original on our b&w TV. The US was building their spaceship to the moon; that got me interested in the SF show. Long ago, its a blur, but I think I watched the episode with Kirk wrestling the t-rex alien. My father said "turn it off, too violent" and that was the last of that. It was canceled after 3? seasons anyway due to poor ratings.

Funny how a show that didn't last long was retconned into a huge hit years later. That would be an interesting analysis.

I love Star Trek, I'm still only on the first season though.

Yeah, Though I rarely admit it, I love ST... even play the online game a wee bit... Love all the series, except Enterprise... Mainly because it is hard to believe anything is quite as it should be without Gene around. Also I am having trouble with the new films, James T. Kirk will always be William Shatner to me. Then again I had issues with True Grit without John Wayne as well.

A funny Audi commercial for Star Trek fans, for the few here that may not have seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

neyzentanburi said:
hi ozlem, I think you are from turkey. I am from turkey, too.
I watched star trek in 70s in my high school days, but now its out of fashion for me ! :)
Yes I am :) nice to meet you.

I was totally obsessed with trek watching the original series, then the motion picture with V-GER. I used to go to great lengths to memorize the shapes of the starships of star trek drawing them over and over. It inspired me to draw some of my own starships with friends who also drew their own ships. Star Trek is a lot of fun.

schonovic said:
I was totally obsessed with trek watching the original series, then the motion picture with V-GER. I used to go to great lengths to memorize the shapes of the starships of star trek drawing them over and over. It inspired me to draw some of my own starships with friends who also drew their own ships. Star Trek is a lot of fun.
Definitely :) I love to draw spaceships etc

xxChrisxx said:
Star Trek was excellent.

This, by the way, is from Moby Dick

FULL POWER! DAMN YOU!

Finthefox said:
I liked Voyager, enough to own all the seasons on DVD. I still watch from time to time in marathon sessions. I've never spent much time on any of the others - though it is on my list of things to do.
I watched voyager a few times when it was on tv. I plan on watching the series in full after I finish Enterprise on netflix. I highly recommend enterprise. It starts out a little slow, but stick with it. It gets good.

"we need more thrust Scotty!" "speak for yourself capt."

1. What is the premise of Star Trek?

The premise of Star Trek is a science fiction universe that follows the adventures of the crew of the starship USS Enterprise as they explore new worlds and encounter alien species.

2. How many Star Trek series and movies are there?

As of 2021, there are a total of 13 Star Trek television series and 13 feature films.

3. What is the first Star Trek series?

The first Star Trek series is called "Star Trek: The Original Series" and it aired from 1966 to 1969.

4. Who created Star Trek?

Star Trek was created by Gene Roddenberry, an American television producer and screenwriter, in 1966.

5. What makes Star Trek so popular?

Star Trek's popularity can be attributed to its compelling storytelling, diverse and relatable characters, and its exploration of complex themes such as morality, humanity, and the unknown. It also has a dedicated fan base that continues to grow with each new installment.