Force between two current-carrying loops

In summary, two parallel, coaxial loops with a radius of 13.6cm and a separation of 1.20mm, each carrying a current of 127A in opposite directions, are considered. The task is to find the magnetic force exerted by the top loop on the bottom loop. Initially, the formula for the force between two parallel wires is used, but it is doubted if this is applicable for two loops. Instead, the concept of magnetic moment is introduced and the force is calculated by considering the potential energy of the magnetic moment at the distance between the loops. This problem may be challenging for an introductory course, but it is solvable without complex mathematical techniques.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Consider two circular, parallel, coaxial loops which are almost in contact. They are separated by 1.20mm, have 13.6cm as radius each. Both loops carry a current of I = 127A but in opposite directions. Find the magnetic force that the top loop exerts on the bottom loop.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to "readapt" the force between two parallel wires, to be able to use it for two loops, in which we would have [itex] F = BIl = 2\pi BIr [/itex]. Then, I used the formula for the field that a loop exerts on its axis, but now I'm doubting if this is true as actually this field is not felt by the other current loop. Now I am stuck on which way to calculate the force that one loop exerts on the other. I was thinking of finding the force exerted on one small piece of the circle dr and then try to integrate in order to find the total force.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember magnetic moment? Think of coil 1 as producing a B field along its axis, which you can easily compute. Then, think of coil 2 as having a magnetic moment, and then associate a potential energy U of that moment at the distance between the coils. So U = U(x) where x is the distance between the coils.
Then, appeal to the principle of virtual work which says that force x Δ(distance) = Δ(potential energy).
This problem is a bit advanced for an introductory course but not at all unmanageable (no elliptic integrals, legendre polynomials, etc.).

1. What is the force between two current-carrying loops?

The force between two current-carrying loops is the magnetic force that arises due to the interaction of the magnetic fields produced by the two loops. It is also known as the Ampere force or the Laplace force.

2. How is the force between two current-carrying loops calculated?

The force between two current-carrying loops can be calculated using the formula F = μ0i1i2l/(2πr) where μ0 is the permeability of free space, i1 and i2 are the currents in the two loops, l is the length of the loops, and r is the distance between them.

3. Does the direction of the current in the loops affect the force between them?

Yes, the direction of the current in the loops does affect the force between them. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if they are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. Can the force between two current-carrying loops be used to create a motor?

Yes, the force between two current-carrying loops can be used to create a motor. In fact, this principle is used in the construction of electric motors, where the force between the magnetic fields of a stator and rotor creates rotational motion.

5. How does the distance between the loops affect the force between them?

The force between two current-carrying loops is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the loops increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.