Quantum Physics Question: What Happens When Not Observed?

In summary, the question about whether an electron would act as if it wasn't being observed if the recording of its behavior was burned without ever being watched is an interpretation-dependent one. From the perspective of decoherence theory, burning the recording would not change the result as the information is still contained in the remnants. The only way to truly erase the record would be through a quantum interference experiment, which is not possible for macroscopic results. Other perspectives may have different views on this question.
quddusaliquddus
hi.
I am not a physicist and i have a question about quantum physics. If you shoot electrons towards a double slit and record what happens on the otherside. If you then burn the recording without ever watching it - would the electron act as if it wasnt being observed?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would it or you know?

quddusaliquddus said:
hi.
I am not a physicist and i have a question about quantum physics. If you shoot electrons towards a double slit and record what happens on the otherside. If you then burn the recording without ever watching it - would the electron act as if it wasnt being observed?

This is up to a point a question which is interpretation-dependent (understand by that, anyone's guess is ok :smile:).

I'll answer from the PoV of decoherence theory: the answer would then be: no, it won't make a difference. I could go in the (partly formal) mathematics of this, but it is probably simpler to see it in the following way: even if you *burn* your records, the detailled state of the remnants (smoke, ash and all that) will still be dependent on the previously recorded result. Although it is practically impossible to "undo" this scrambling, the microstate still contains the information somehow, and as such, the entanglement with the environment has not been lifted (rather on the contrary, you've made it even more of a mess by burning the record).

The only way to really "erase" your record would be by doing a quantum interference experiment where you let your different records interfere with each other. That's of course impossible for macroscopically registered results, just BECAUSE they already got "entangled" with the environment (the information "leaked" already, due to tiny interactions between the environment and the record, into that environment).

At least, this is how things are seen from a PoV from environmental decoherence ; there are maybe other views on this question.

thanks for the reply.

1. What is the observer effect in quantum physics?

The observer effect in quantum physics refers to the phenomenon where the act of observing or measuring a quantum system can alter its behavior. This is due to the fact that particles can behave as both waves and particles, and the act of measurement can collapse the wave function and determine the outcome of the system.

2. Does the observer effect only apply to conscious observers?

No, the observer effect applies to any type of measurement or interaction with a quantum system, whether it is done by a conscious observer or a machine. The important factor is that the system is being observed or measured in some way.

3. Can the observer effect be avoided in quantum experiments?

In theory, it is possible to design experiments that minimize the effects of observation, such as using indirect measurement techniques. However, the observer effect is a fundamental part of quantum mechanics and cannot be completely avoided.

4. Does the observer effect violate the laws of causality?

No, the observer effect is not a violation of causality. It simply means that the outcome of a quantum system cannot be predicted with certainty until it is observed or measured. This is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and does not contradict the laws of causality.

5. How does the observer effect impact our understanding of reality?

The observer effect challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that the act of observation can change the behavior of particles on a fundamental level. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in the universe and the nature of reality itself.