Solve Energy/Work Q: Mass .263 kg Dropped on Spring k=252 N/m Compresses 11.8 cm

• Thread starter vivekfan
  • Start date
In summary, a .263 kg mass is dropped on a spring with k=252 N/m, compressing the spring by 11.8 cm. The work done by gravity is -0.304 J and the work done by the spring is -1.75 J. To find the speed of the block when it hits the spring, one can use the equation KEf = KEi + work done, where the work done is the sum of the work done by gravity and the work done by the spring. Alternatively, one can use the equation (Kf+Pf)=(Ki +Pi) with Pi being the negative of the work done by gravity when the spring was being compressed, which results in Pi = -0.304
vivekfan

Homework Statement

A mass of .263 kg is dropped on a spring with k=252 N/m. When it lands, it compresses the spring 11.8 cm. a) While the spring is being compressed, how much work is being done by gravity? b) What is the work done by the spring as it is being compressed? c) What is the speed of the block when it hits the spring?

Homework Equations

W=Fdcos theta
W= -.5kx^2
deltaEmechanical=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a by using -(.263)(9.8)(.118)=-.304 J
I got part b by using W=-.5 (252)(-.118)^2=-1.75 J

I have a question for the third part.

I set up

(Kf+Pf)=(Ki +Pi)
(0+ .5kx^2)=(.5mv^2+ Pi)

I thought that Pi would be zero since it's all KE by the time it hits the spring, but my teacher solved the problem using the negative of the work done by gravity when the spring was being compressed. I am confused on why you use .304 J for Pi. Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
vivekfan said:
I got part a by using -(.263)(9.8)(.118)=-.304 J
I got part b by using W=-.5 (252)(-.118)^2=-1.75 J
Why the minus sign for part a?

I have a question for the third part.

I set up

(Kf+Pf)=(Ki +Pi)
(0+ .5kx^2)=(.5mv^2+ Pi)
This is a bit confusing since you don't specify spring PE versus gravitational PE. I would use:
Ki + gPEi + sPEi = Kf + gPEf + sPEf

I thought that Pi would be zero since it's all KE by the time it hits the spring, but my teacher solved the problem using the negative of the work done by gravity when the spring was being compressed. I am confused on why you use .304 J for Pi. Please explain.
The work done by gravity is positive, since both force (gravity) and displacement are in the same direction.

Another approach is to simply say:
KEf = KEi + work done.

Since you already figure out the work done in parts a and b, why not use it.

Great job on parts a and b! For part c, you are on the right track with setting up the energy conservation equation. However, you are correct that Pi should be zero since there is no initial potential energy. The reason why your teacher used the negative of the work done by gravity is because the work done by gravity is equal to the change in potential energy. In this case, the potential energy is negative since the block is being compressed, so the work done by gravity is also negative. By using the negative of the work done by gravity, you are essentially taking into account the potential energy that is being converted into kinetic energy as the block hits the spring. So, your equation should look like this:

(Kf+Pf)=(Ki +Pi)
(0+ .5kx^2)=(.5mv^2- .304)

Solving for v, we get v= 1.47 m/s. This is the speed of the block when it hits the spring. I hope this helps clarify the confusion. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for calculating the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2 * k * (x2^2 - x1^2), where k is the spring constant, x2 is the final displacement, and x1 is the initial displacement.

3. How do you determine the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. In this case, the force is the weight of the object (mass * gravity) and the displacement is the change in length of the spring.

4. What is the relationship between mass and energy in a spring system?

The relationship between mass and energy in a spring system is that the potential energy stored in the spring is directly proportional to the mass of the object on the spring. This means that a heavier object will compress the spring more and have more potential energy stored in it compared to a lighter object.

5. How does the compression of the spring affect the energy of the system?

The compression of the spring directly affects the energy of the system. As the spring compresses, it stores potential energy, which can later be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released. The more the spring is compressed, the more potential energy is stored in the system.