Average Power and speed of a car

In summary, the average power required to bring a 2000kg car to a final speed of 20m/s with a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2 is 60,000 watts. This can be calculated by finding the total change in energy divided by the total time, as explained in equation 5.54 in the tutorial provided. It is important to note that the average velocity will be lower than the final velocity due to the linear increase in velocity with constant acceleration.
nagaromo
1. A 2000kg car, initially at rest, is accelerated along a horizontal roadway at 3m/s^2. What is the average power required to bring the car to a final speed of 20m/s?

2. I don't know the relevant equations :(

3. Well I first tried force multiplied by the final velocity which is 120000 watts, but that's not the answer. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity increases linearly if the acceleration is constant. What does that say about the average velocity as compared to the final velocity over the distance (or time) concerned?

nagaromo,
Take a look at this tutorial posted by Mr. Bernhardt, specifically page 99 that deals with the concept of power. Equation 5.54 is for instantaneous power, but the average power is given by the total change in energy(start to finish) divided by the total time.
Think about how the energy of the car changes(the work done) and how to figure out how long it takes for the change to occur.

The reason your first attempt was wrong is that you calculated the instantaneous power at the very end of the push, when the car was at it's final speed. You want the average, over the whole push.

oo now i got the right answer. thanks guy! i appreciate the help :D

60000w right? :d:d:d

That's the answer I got.

thanks! <3 :]

What is average power?

Average power is the amount of energy transferred per unit of time. In the context of a car, it refers to the average amount of energy the car's engine can produce over a given period of time.

What is average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. In the context of a car, it refers to the average speed at which the car is moving over a given period of time.

How is average power calculated for a car?

Average power for a car is calculated by multiplying the average force applied by the car's engine with the average velocity of the car over a given period of time.

What factors affect the average power of a car?

The average power of a car is affected by various factors such as the engine size, the type of fuel used, the weight of the car, and the efficiency of the engine.

How does average speed impact the fuel efficiency of a car?

Generally, higher average speeds require more power from the engine, which in turn, leads to higher fuel consumption. However, factors such as traffic conditions, road surface, and driving habits also play a role in determining a car's fuel efficiency.