Casimir effect, where is the energy loss?

In summary, the Casimir effect involves virtual particles creating a pressure that pushes two plates together, and when the plates move, work is done and energy is created. However, this is not a violation of energy conservation as the initial placement of the plates required added energy. This concept is similar to the example of weights connected by a stretched spring. The Casimir effect is not related to quantum mechanics and follows the principles of classical physics.
ArthurDent
Firstly my knowledge of science is armchair tv level so any overly complicated explanations will be lost on me.

What is going on it terms energy conservation with the casimir effect.

As I understand it virtual particles created outside the plates have a greater range of wavelengths than those in the gap causing a pressure that pushes the plates together. But if the plates move then work is done and energy has been created, since you can't create energy where is the loss in this process to balance things out?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArthurDent said:
But if the plates move then work is done and energy has been created, since you can't create energy where is the loss in this process to balance things out?

Someone had to put the two plates in their initial separated positions, and that required adding energy to the system; we're just getting that energy back when the plates move closer.

Suppose I show you two weights connected by a stretched spring. When I let go of the weights, the spring pulls them together, doing work. Where did that energy come from? It came from the work I did stretching the spring in the first place; it was already there as potential energy when I first showed you the experimental setup.

I'm not sure I understand your answer.

Nugatory said:
Someone had to put the two plates in their initial separated positions, and that required adding energy to the system; we're just getting that energy back when the plates move closer.

Why would you need to add energy to the system to put the plates into position?
As I see it you're just converting/using existing energy to move the plates into position.

Nugatory said:
Suppose I show you two weights connected by a stretched spring. When I let go of the weights, the spring pulls them together, doing work. Where did that energy come from? It came from the work I did stretching the spring in the first place; it was already there as potential energy when I first showed you the experimental setup.

I kind of get the idea that its recovering the amount of energy needed to overcome the plates gravitational attraction in order to push them apart. Is this what you mean?

ArthurDent said:
I'm not sure I understand your answer.
Why would you need to add energy to the system to put the plates into position?
As I see it you're just converting/using existing energy to move the plates into position.
Suppose I start with the two plates touching. If there's a force that draws them together then I cannot get the system into the plates-separated state without doing work, which shows up as an increase in the potential energy as I separate the plates to set up your initial condition. And if I start with the plates widely separated and bring them closer to set up the experiment, then the potential energy was there all along. Either way, energy conversation works out.

I kind of get the idea that its recovering the amount of energy needed to overcome the plates gravitational attraction in order to push them apart. Is this what you mean?
Pretty much, yes.
None of this has anything to do with quantum mechanics or the Casimir effect; it's just how forces, potential energy, and energy conservation work in ordinary classical physics.

1. What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum field theory where two uncharged parallel plates in a vacuum attract each other due to quantum fluctuations in the vacuum energy.

2. How does the Casimir effect cause energy loss?

The energy loss in the Casimir effect occurs due to the conversion of vacuum energy into other forms of energy, such as heat or electromagnetic radiation.

3. Where does the energy come from for the Casimir effect?

The energy for the Casimir effect comes from the fluctuations in the vacuum energy, which is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Casimir effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the Casimir effect is only observable on a very small scale, such as at the nanoscale, and requires precise experimental conditions to be observed.

5. How is the Casimir effect related to the concept of virtual particles?

The Casimir effect is related to the concept of virtual particles as it is caused by the fluctuations of these particles in the vacuum. These virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence, and their energy contributes to the overall vacuum energy that leads to the Casimir effect.