Finding the slope of the tangent line using the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form?

In summary, the slope of the tangent line to the curve f(x)=x-x^3 at the point (1,0) can be found by calculating [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h and simplifying it before taking the limit as h approaches 0. This approach does not involve setting h to 0.
JessicaJ283782
Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve f(x)=x-x^3 at the point (1,0)

So, I went through and plugged (a+h) in everywhere I saw "x"

(a+h)-(a+h)^3

Factoring:

(a+h-a^3-3a^2h-3ah^2-h^3)

I'm really stuck on what to do next...I don't see anything you can cancel/pull out? I know you need to cancel the h in the denominator, but I can't pull an h out because of the "a"s...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaJ283782 said:
Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve f(x)=x-x^3 at the point (1,0)

So, I went through and plugged (a+h) in everywhere I saw "x"

(a+h)-(a+h)^3

Factoring:

(a+h-a^3-3a^2h-3ah^2-h^3)

I'm really stuck on what to do next...I don't see anything you can cancel/pull out? I know you need to cancel the h in the denominator, but I can't pull an h out because of the "a"s...

Thank you!

That's just the f(a+h) part. Subtract the f(a) part before you start trying to factor.

But isn't the f(a) part 0?

JessicaJ283782 said:
But isn't the f(a) part 0?

Yes, in this case. But you have not used that information yet in your calculation of f(a+h).

Last edited:
So can I plug in 0 for a? and then factor out h, and then plug in 0 for h?

JessicaJ283782 said:
So can I plug in 0 for a? and then factor out h, and then plug in 0 for h?

Don't ask; just decide for yourself.

But you can't because then you're going to get 0/0, right?

What do a and h represent in your equation?

a would represent the "lim as x->a" so it would be the "lim as x->1"...h is what you are trying to factor out.

JessicaJ283782 said:
a would represent the "lim as x->a" so it would be the "lim as x->1"...h is what you are trying to factor out.

If you are saying a=1 in this problem, that would be right.

But I calculated the slope another way, and the answer is -2. When I do it this way, you'll get 0/0 though if you plug in 1 for a because you would then plug in 0 for the h's and have no number left?

JessicaJ283782 said:
But I calculated the slope another way, and the answer is -2. When I do it this way, you'll get 0/0 though if you plug in 1 for a because you would then plug in 0 for the h's and have no number left?

Show your work. You should be able to cancel an h and then let h->0 and get -2 this way too.

I put the first steps on how I factored it out aboveThen,

a+h-a^3-3a^2h-3ah^2-h^3

Plug in 1:
h-3h-3h^2-h^3

pull out an h, I get h(-3-3h-h^2)

Then you'll get 0/0?

JessicaJ283782 said:
I put the first steps on how I factored it out above

Then,

a+h-a^3-3a^2h-3ah^2-h^3

Plug in 1:
h-3h-3h^2-h^3

Then you'll get 0/0?

i) your expression will have an h in the denominator as well. Cancel it with the one in the numerator before taking h->0. ii) Your algebra isn't correct h-3h-3h^2-h^3 isn't equal to h(-3-3h-h^2). Fix it.

JessicaJ283782 said:
I put the first steps on how I factored it out above

Then,

a+h-a^3-3a^2h-3ah^2-h^3

Plug in 1:
h-3h-3h^2-h^3

Then you'll get 0/0?

There is something fundamental that you are not "getting". Here is how it should go.

(1) First you calculate [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h, where h is NOT zero. Simplify it as much as you can.
(2) Then (and only then), let h → 0 to see what is the limit.

You never actually set h = 0. Taking h → 0 is not the same as setting h = 0.

FAQ: Finding the slope of the tangent line using the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form?

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of the tangent line using the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form?

The formula for finding the slope of the tangent line using the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form is (f(a+h)-f(a))/h, where a is the given point and h is the distance between a and the point of interest.

2. How is the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form different from other methods of finding the slope of the tangent line?

The f(a+h)-f(a)/h form is a specific form of the limit definition of the derivative. It is different from other methods as it uses the concept of a secant line passing through two points on a curve to approximate the slope of the tangent line at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of the h value in the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form?

The h value in the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form represents the distance between the given point a and the point of interest on the curve. As h approaches 0, the secant line becomes closer to the tangent line, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the slope of the tangent line.

4. Can the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form be used for any type of function?

Yes, the f(a+h)-f(a)/h form can be used for any type of function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. As long as the function is continuous and differentiable at the given point a, this form can be used to find the slope of the tangent line.

5. What does the slope of the tangent line represent in the context of a graph?

The slope of the tangent line at a specific point represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point. It indicates how much the y-value of the function is changing with respect to the x-value at that point.