Questions concerning mobile audio: Capacitor to filter tweeters

In summary, the conversation discusses replacing OEM speakers with aftermarket ones and the challenges faced in finding suitable tweeters for the car's audio system. The conversation also delves into the importance of choosing the correct capacitor value to avoid damaging the tweeters. Ultimately, the desired tweeters are linked at the top of the page and it is recommended to use non-polarized capacitors for the best audio quality.
LightFantastic
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd25fn-4-1-neo-silk-dome-tweeter-element-4-ohm--275-053

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/capacitors/68

Tried replacing the OEM speakers in my vehicle with a set of aftermarkets ...without exchanging the OEM head unit. Terrible idea, and I knew better. As far as efficiency/sensitivity goes, OEM blows aftermarket right out of the water. So I stuck my OEM speakers back in.

I can handle the muddiness out of my midwoofers, but the OEM tweeters are fatiguing. It is my understanding that tweeters don't need a lot of power, so I am interested in replacing them. They are wired in parallel with my front midwoofers, and filtered with a capacitor. They need to go high in my doors off axis, and fitted in a rather tight location. There's only a handful of 4 ohm tweets from parts express that will fit the physical constraints.

I'm not sure how to choose the correct cap value or the type of cap. Ceramic, polypropylene, electrolytic..?

Desired tweeters are linked at the top of the page.

Guess I'm just worried that the tweeters won't be able to keep up with the mids. Couldn't find the sensitivity rating on the daytons, but I assume they're much lower than oem ...which isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
8uF would be a conservative value so you are less likely to blow them out with too much mid-range power. If you need more midrange going to 16uF (or possibly 20uF) will boost the mids.

Remember that you Must use non-polarized (non-polar) capacitors. Ordinary electrolytics act like they have an internal diode across them and will block the bass in only one polarity of the waveform; they will let half the bass thru to smoke the tweeters.

The tweeters you have chosen are good down to 2.5kHz and have an impedance of 4 Ohms. A 8Uf cap will cut the power to 1/4 at 5kHz with further cuts as the frequency decreases. A 16uF cap extends down to 2.5kHz (the tweeter rating), and 20uF will get you down to 2kHz.

Related to Questions concerning mobile audio: Capacitor to filter tweeters

1. What is the purpose of using a capacitor to filter tweeters?

A capacitor is used in mobile audio systems to filter out high-frequency signals that can damage tweeters. It acts as a barrier, allowing only the desired frequencies to pass through to the tweeters while blocking out potential harmful signals.

2. How do I choose the right capacitor for my tweeters?

The capacitance value of the capacitor will determine the frequencies it can filter out. To choose the right capacitor for your tweeters, you will need to know the frequency range of your tweeters and select a capacitor with a capacitance value that can filter out the higher frequencies. It is recommended to consult with a professional or reference a guide for the specific capacitance values for different tweeter frequencies.

3. Can a capacitor also be used to improve the sound quality of tweeters?

Yes, a capacitor can also be used to improve the sound quality of tweeters by filtering out any unwanted frequencies that may cause distortion or muddiness in the sound. This can result in a cleaner and more accurate sound from the tweeters.

4. Is it necessary to use a capacitor for tweeters in a mobile audio system?

While it is not absolutely necessary, it is highly recommended to use a capacitor for tweeters in a mobile audio system. Without a capacitor, the tweeters are at risk of receiving signals that can damage them, leading to poor sound quality or even complete failure.

5. How should a capacitor be installed for tweeters in a mobile audio system?

A capacitor should be installed in parallel with the tweeters, meaning it should be connected between the positive and negative terminals of the tweeters. It is important to ensure the polarity is correct when installing the capacitor. It is also recommended to use high-quality wiring and connectors to prevent any potential issues such as signal loss or overheating.