Do they have powerful battery packs that can run a vacuum?

LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Big battery packs.
For those that have to vacuum large spaces often have to use many different outlets and worry about running over their own cord. Is there a battery pack one can strap to their back to power a vacuum cleaner? Or would that amount of power tide to a person be dangerous?

Engineering news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
TL;DR Summary: Big battery packs.

For those that have to vacuum large spaces often have to use many different outlets and worry about running over their own cord. Is there a battery pack one can strap to their back to power a vacuum cleaner? Or would that amount of power tide to a person be dangerous?
Leaf blowers come in a version that has a gas motor that goes in a backpack. It is certainly conceivable that a vacuum cleaner could run the same way.

Likes russ_watters
LightningInAJar said:
For those that have to vacuum large spaces often have to use many different outlets and worry about running over their own cord.
They sometimes have long power cords that follow behind them.

Central or ducted vacuum systems work well where the rooms are smaller, such as homes and hotels. They have no power cord, just the vacuum hose to plug into the wall inlet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_vacuum_cleaner

Dyson makes many cordless electric vacuum cleaners (probably rediculously overengineered) . I'm certain you could swap the battery out occasionally, so it wouldn't need to clean Madison Square Garden on a single charge. ?

• Informative
Likes phinds, russ_watters and berkeman
phinds said:
Leaf blowers come in a version that has a gas motor that goes in a backpack. It is certainly conceivable that a vacuum cleaner could run the same way.
I don't think a gas motor could run indoors though.

Likes sophiecentaur
LightningInAJar said:
It can if it is a very large space. I wouldn't do it in a home but in sports stadium or airplane hanger it would be OK.

LightningInAJar said:
That depends on what you mean by "gas".

There are many LPG fuelled vacuum cleaners and floor polishers, used in warehouses and shopping centres. For examples, Google 'propane vacuums'.
https://www.ruwac.com/product-type/propane-powered-vacuums/

Is it an ice machine or an ICE machine?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Is it an ice machine or an ICE machine?
Both. It is an ice machine, AKA Zamboni.
I see, it is propelled across the ice, by an ICE.

Likes russ_watters
And if Immigration and Customs Enforcement owns one, it's an ICE ice ICE machine? Ir is that an ICE ICE ice machine?

"ICE machine" does not sound right, it is a bit like a redundant "ATM machine".
They don't call this the "silly season" for nothing.
The full Moon is tomorrow.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
. . . it is a bit like a redundant "ATM machine".

Lol. . . . :wink:

RAS syndrome

Likes Baluncore
Just call it the Zamboni........

Likes russ_watters
hutchphd said:
Just call it the Zamboni........
Like, I have a six cylinder Zamboni in my car.

Must be good on the ice.

Likes russ_watters and Baluncore
I was thinking domestic places and close quarters businesses. Also there is a noise consideration. Do they have large battery packs that can output enough for a shop vacuum? Lets say 2 hours tops of cleaning. If it doesn't exist about how heavy would it be? Perhaps it can be dolly-ed around like a golf bag if not worn

LightningInAJar said:
I was thinking domestic places and close quarters businesses. Also there is a noise consideration. Do they have large battery packs that can output enough for a shop vacuum? Lets say 2 hours tops of cleaning. If it doesn't exist about how heavy would it be? Perhaps it can be dolly-ed around like a golf bag if not worn
You can calculate all of this yourself. Look at the vacuum that you want to power and read the specifications in the manual or on the information plate near the power input connector. That will give you the input power consumption (something like 120VAC @ 2A = 240 Watts), and that will let you do an approximate calculation for the size of the battery you need to power the vacuum for 2 hours (480 Watt-hours = 12V battery * 40 Amp-hours). You will need the battery to be a bit bigger to take power supply conversion efficiency into account, but this will give you the ballpark battery sizes that you should be looking at...

[corrected typo in math in battery capacity calculation]

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50
Or you could consider the fact that one can buy an electric yard vac/ leaf blower at the local hardware store. It works with any Ryobi 40V battery, no cart required.

Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
Or you could consider the fact that one can buy an electric yard vac/ leaf blower at the local hardware store. It works with any Ryobi 40V battery, no cart required.
I'm afraid that wouldn't work on carpets. Lol. As for a powerpack I am still concerned with safety and health with such a power supply if any. Would anyone here have any reservations about strapping that much power to your back? Lol.

LightningInAJar said:
Would anyone here have any reservations about strapping that much power to your back?
No problem.
Two-stroke engines on backpacks are used in harvesting fruit and spraying.
Backpack vacuum cleaners, with power cords, have been around for more than 50 years.
Now they are available with lithium batteries.
https://www.godfreys.com.au/pullman-advance-lithium-backpack-pl950

That seems pretty definitive to me........thanks.

LightningInAJar said:
Would anyone here have any reservations about strapping that much power to your back? Lol.
The 12V, 40A-Hr battery size that I came up with in the simple calculation a few posts back is about the size of a car battery. It would fit easily in the seperate floor-based "following" unit in this style of floor vacuum:

1703865894418.png

https://www.thekitchn.com/things-to-know-before-buying-a-vacuum-23409075

Likes LightningInAJar
I only ask because those afraid of cell phone radiation giving them a brain tumor would get any dangerous radiation from the battery more than the screen. And that's very low power compared to a vacuum. I am not in charge of what vacuums are purchased at the cleaning company I work for, but would like to be able to suggest a less restrictive power source. And many places have outlets that are falling apart. Lol.

LightningInAJar said:
I only ask because those afraid of cell phone radiation giving them a brain tumor would get any dangerous radiation from the battery more than the screen.
Yeah, you got us there. 12V batteries do indeed emit a lot of 2.4GHz microwave radiation that can heat up your brain and gonads. Vaya con dios...

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Vanadium 50
Vaya con diodes.

• Haha
Likes LightningInAJar and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Vaya con diodes.
Thank you for your rectification of the issues...

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, hutchphd and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Thank you for your rectification of the issues...
Silence from the forum....you can hear a PIN drop.

Likes LightningInAJar
Vanadium 50 said:
Vaya con diodes.
I'm not very religious.......does that blessing work for all electric vehicles ?? To be administered during charging?
Or was that just a Schottke in the dark?
(Any depth to which you sink I can match..... its genetic. I beg you: cease this madness..)

Well thanks all for pointers.

LightningInAJar said:
Well thanks all for pointers.
&You're &welcome.

1. How long can a powerful battery pack run a vacuum?

The runtime of a vacuum on a powerful battery pack depends on the battery's capacity (measured in ampere-hours, Ah) and the power consumption of the vacuum (measured in watts). Typically, high-quality battery packs can run a cordless vacuum for about 20 to 60 minutes on a single charge. However, the actual runtime can vary based on the vacuum's model and the cleaning mode used.

2. What type of battery packs are best for running vacuums?

Lithium-ion batteries are currently the best type for running vacuums due to their high energy density, efficiency, and longevity. They are lighter and provide a more consistent power output compared to older types like nickel-cadmium (NiCd) or nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, making them ideal for portable devices like vacuums.

3. How long do these battery packs typically last before needing replacement?

Lithium-ion battery packs, commonly used in cordless vacuums, typically last between 2 to 3 years or about 500 to 1000 charge cycles, whichever comes first. The lifespan can be influenced by factors such as the frequency of use, charging habits, and whether the battery is regularly drained completely before recharging.

4. Can the battery packs be easily replaced or upgraded?

Whether a battery pack can be easily replaced or upgraded depends on the vacuum model. Some vacuums are designed with easily removable battery packs that can be replaced or upgraded without tools, while others may require disassembly or professional service. Always check the manufacturer's instructions or contact their customer service for guidance.

5. Are there environmental concerns associated with these battery packs?

Yes, there are environmental concerns associated with battery packs, especially lithium-ion batteries. They contain materials that can be harmful if not disposed of properly. It is important to recycle used batteries at designated recycling centers to help mitigate environmental impact. Additionally, manufacturing and disposing of lithium-ion batteries contribute to carbon emissions and other environmental pollutants.