Honda recommends 0w 20 engine oil

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Oil
In summary, there is a slight difference between 0w 20 and 5w 20 oil, with 0w 20 being more expensive due to higher quality base stocks. However, unless you live in a very cold place or do a lot of short journeys, using 5w 20 will still be fine for your car. It is recommended to follow the manual for your warranty period and not pay attention to the outdated 3 month, 3,000 mile oil change interval. The reason Honda recommends 0w 20 is to meet MPG guidelines.
My new Civic recommends 0w 20, however it is a bit more expensive, especially if done at a dealership. Is there much difference between 0w 20 and 5w 20? I heard the only reason Honda uses 0w 20 is to meet the MPG guidelines.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In reality you'll be fine with 5W-20. Unless you live in a very cold place or do a lot of short journeys. You really are unlikely to see a difference.

If you are still in a warranty period, just go with the manual.

The reason the 0W20 is more expensive is that the base stocks it's made out of are of a substantially higher quality. Use the 0W20 and do NOT pay attention to anyone telling you to use the 3 month, 3,000 mile oil change interval- it's bunk on any car built after 1996.

1. What does "Honda recommends 0w 20 engine oil" mean?

"Honda recommends 0w 20 engine oil" means that Honda, the manufacturer of the engine, suggests using 0w 20 oil for optimal performance and longevity of the engine.

2. Why does Honda recommend 0w 20 engine oil?

Honda recommends 0w 20 engine oil because it provides better fuel economy, improved engine performance, and increased protection against wear and tear compared to other types of oil.

3. Can I use a different type of oil in my Honda vehicle?

While it is possible to use a different type of oil in your Honda vehicle, it is not recommended. Using 0w 20 oil is specifically chosen by Honda for a reason and using a different type of oil may result in decreased performance and potential damage to the engine.

4. What are the benefits of using 0w 20 engine oil?

Using 0w 20 engine oil provides several benefits such as improved fuel economy, better engine performance, increased protection against wear and tear, and a longer lifespan for your Honda engine.

5. Where can I purchase 0w 20 engine oil for my Honda vehicle?

You can purchase 0w 20 engine oil at any Honda dealership, automotive supply store, or online. It is important to make sure you are purchasing the correct type of oil for your specific Honda vehicle.