Intimidated by an Upcoming Course

In summary: ManessIn summary, Boas may be a good reference, but you may need to supplement it with other resources to prepare for the course.
kq6up
I have been out of school for 15 years (for physics at least), and plan on going back for my masters. I have been teaching chemistry and physics at the high school level for 9 of those years. I have often challenged myself with calculus problems so that I don't loose it completely. I have been reviewing with Boas and find it perfect for where I am at, but when I saw the course description of the course I am planning to take in the fall I was a little intimidated. After looking at the contents of the textbook:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120598760/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I became really intimidated. I am not sure if I should put it off another year and finish Boas -- maybe start reviewing some Junior and Senior college level physics.

Here is the course description:

http://physics.fullerton.edu/~heidi/510.html

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The coursework seems like the standard for a one semester mathematical methods course. Perhaps in addition to Boas, you could supplement your preparation with Byron and Fuller. You should be able to find a Dover edition for ~25 dollars at most. You may want to do some problems from Morin's classical mechanics text (or Taylor's) and perhaps some problems from Griffith's E&M and Shankar's quantum mechanics. The four of those books is what I used the summer before I came to graduate school to prepare. I came straight from undergrad, but even if I didn't I think that would have been the best bet.

Edit: Arfken and Weber is a great book, as a reference. I never used it while taking Math Methods in graduate school (except as reference). To learn the mathematics, I used a combination of Byron&Fuller, Hassani, and Lea. Classmates of mine also found Boas helpful. Now that I am doing research, I have found Stone and Goldbert to be the text of choice when I want to refresh my mathematical memory.

Thanks, Zombie. Do you think I can get all this done by fall? I do have the summer off, but my break from work is only two months. It has taken me a two months to get to the middle of chapter three, so not really fast going. When I am off, I can do a section a day -- when I am in work I can do about half of that.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

I think that depends a lot on how much you recall from your undergrad courses. I would focus on the core competencies of each undergraduate subject. Try to draw parallels and get a unified picture of what's going on. Honestly, physics came together a lot for me during my first two years of graduate school.

I am solid on lower division stuff. Upper division is a murky mess at very best.

Chris

What is the best way to prepare for an intimidating course?

The best way to prepare for an intimidating course is to start early and stay organized. Make a study schedule and stick to it, review material from previous courses that may be relevant, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

How can I overcome my fear of failing this course?

It's important to remember that failure is a normal part of the learning process. Instead of focusing on the possibility of failing, focus on the effort you are putting into the course and the progress you are making. Seek help from the instructor or a tutor if needed, and remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

What should I do if I feel overwhelmed by the course material?

If you feel overwhelmed, don't be afraid to reach out for help. Talk to your instructor about your concerns and ask for clarification on any confusing material. You can also form a study group with classmates to discuss the material and help each other understand it better.

How can I stay motivated throughout the course?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially in an intimidating course. To stay motivated, set small goals for yourself and celebrate when you achieve them. Find a study buddy or join a study group for accountability and support. Also, remember to take breaks and do activities you enjoy to avoid burnout.

What can I do if I feel like I'm falling behind in the course?

If you feel like you're falling behind, don't panic. Make a plan to catch up, such as prioritizing assignments or seeking help from the instructor. It's also important to communicate with your instructor and let them know about any challenges you are facing. Remember to be patient and kind to yourself, and seek out support from classmates or a tutor if needed.