Spin orbit interaction and LS coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between spin orbit interaction and LS coupling scheme in atoms. LS coupling is an approximation that holds when spin-orbit interaction is negligible and states can be classified by total orbital and spin momentum. However, when considering electronic correlation effects, the energy of states with different L or S may also vary. Spin is important because it modifies the orbital part of the electronic wavefunction. In light atoms, spin-orbit interaction can be taken into account using perturbation theory, leading to a splitting of terms based on total electronic angular momentum J. The conversation also mentions the residual electrostatic interaction in two valence electron atoms, which cannot be fully accounted for by the central field approximation.
ian2012
I hope someone can help me out here.

I am having difficulty understanding what the difference is between the spin orbit interaction and LS coupling scheme in atoms. I know the spin orbit interaction (or spin orbit coupling) is due to the interaction of say an electron's spin with it's orbital motion. But i am confused about the LS coupling, apparently the neglect of the spin-orbit interaction means the LS coupling approximation holds?

(My confusion starts with understanding the residual electrostatic interaction. Apparently when you have a two valence electron atom, the central field approximation cannot completely account for the repulsion between them. So for example, in silicon the ground configuration is: (1s2)(2s2)(2p6)(3s2)(3p2), however in an excited configuration: 3p4p, and due to LS coupling, you get 36 states, 6 terms... I can't picture what is going on?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If spin-orbit coupling is negligible, spin and orbital momentum won't talk to each other and are both conserved quantities and you can classify states by total orbital momentum L and total spin momentum S (besides the occupation of the orbitals).
The energy of states with different L or S will in general also be different once you go beyond the central potential approximation and take electronic correlation effects into account. (Spin is an important quantity because it also modifies the orbital part of the electronic wavefunction as the total electronic wavefunction has to be anti-symmetric. Compare the case of a dihydrogen molecule, where the bound state corresponds to an electronic singlett (paired electrons)).
In light atoms, spin-orbit interaction is small and you can then take it into account using perturbation theory for degenerate states. It will then lead to a splitting of the terms (specified by L and S) into term components differing in the value of total electronic angular momentum J.

What is spin orbit interaction?

Spin orbit interaction is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of an electron interacts with its orbital motion around an atomic nucleus. This interaction results in the splitting of energy levels and the creation of sublevels, known as fine structure.

How does spin orbit interaction affect electron energy levels?

Spin orbit interaction causes the energy levels of electrons in an atom to split into sublevels. This splitting is known as fine structure and is responsible for the distinct spectral lines observed in atomic spectra.

What is LS coupling?

LS coupling, also known as Russell-Saunders coupling, is a model used to describe the fine structure of an atom. It states that the total angular momentum of an atom is the sum of the orbital angular momentum (L) and the spin angular momentum (S) of the electrons.

How does LS coupling relate to spin orbit interaction?

LS coupling is a result of spin orbit interaction. The spin orbit interaction causes the spin and orbital angular momentum of an electron to combine, resulting in the total angular momentum of the atom. LS coupling is a way to describe this interaction mathematically.

What are the consequences of spin orbit interaction and LS coupling?

The consequences of spin orbit interaction and LS coupling include the fine structure of energy levels, which leads to the distinct spectral lines observed in atomic spectra. This interaction also affects the magnetic properties of materials and plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.