H-alpha line in galaxies/ hubble redshift

In summary, the Halpha line is an emission line because it comes from ionized hydrogen in H II regions, which are sources of ionizing photons.
SUDOnym
As an assignment I am trying to calculate the Hubble redshift by looking at spectra of galaxies...
Obviously the very first thing I want to do is find a suitable emission line...i am trying to find the halpha line in all the spectra I am analysing.
First off, there is a very large spike in the spectra I am looking at at a wavelength of around 650nm and I am guessing that this must be the halpha. But my question is, why is it that this halpha line should definitely be an emission line as opposed to an absorption line?

Physics news on Phys.org
SUDOnym said:
As an assignment I am trying to calculate the Hubble redshift by looking at spectra of galaxies...
Obviously the very first thing I want to do is find a suitable emission line...i am trying to find the halpha line in all the spectra I am analysing.
First off, there is a very large spike in the spectra I am looking at at a wavelength of around 650nm and I am guessing that this must be the halpha. But my question is, why is it that this halpha line should definitely be an emission line as opposed to an absorption line?

The Halpha line is seen in emission because it comes from H II regions. H II is weird astronomer/spectroscopist notation for ionized hydrogen. H I is neutral hydrogen. Similarly, He I = neutral helium. He II = singly-ionized helium. He III = doubly-ionized helium. But I digress.

H II regions are what are also known as emission nebulae. Sources of ionizing (e.g. UV) photons such as hot O and B type stars create shells of ionized gas around them, and this ionized gas glows as excited electrons recombine with their atomic nuclei and cascade down the energy levels (so the glowing is therefore due to atomic emission lines). Since this interstellar gas is mostly hydrogen, you see the hydrogen recombination lines, with Halpha being the most prominent of these.

1. What is the H-alpha line in galaxies?

The H-alpha line is a specific spectral line in the hydrogen atom's emission spectrum that corresponds to a wavelength of 656.3 nanometers. This line is commonly used by scientists to study the properties of galaxies, as it is a strong indicator of the presence of ionized hydrogen gas.

2. How is the H-alpha line related to Hubble redshift?

The H-alpha line is related to Hubble redshift because it is affected by the expansion of the universe. As light from distant galaxies travels through expanding space, its wavelength is stretched, causing the H-alpha line to shift towards longer, or redder, wavelengths. This phenomenon is known as Hubble redshift.

3. Why is the H-alpha line important in studying galaxies?

The H-alpha line is important in studying galaxies because it provides valuable information about the gas content and star formation rates within a galaxy. By measuring the intensity of the H-alpha line, scientists can estimate the amount of ionized hydrogen gas present and use this to better understand a galaxy's evolution and dynamics.

4. How is the H-alpha line used to determine the distance of galaxies?

The H-alpha line can be used in a technique called the Tully-Fisher relation to determine the distance of galaxies. This relation compares the intrinsic luminosity of a galaxy, which can be calculated from the H-alpha line's intensity, to its rotational velocity. By using this relation, scientists can estimate the distance to a galaxy based on its rotational velocity.

5. Can the H-alpha line be used to study galaxies beyond the observable universe?

No, the H-alpha line cannot be used to study galaxies beyond the observable universe. This is because the expansion of the universe causes the H-alpha line to shift to longer, undetectable wavelengths for objects that are too far away. This makes it impossible to use the H-alpha line to study galaxies that are beyond the observable universe.