[Math/Calculus] Which book to use first?

• Thread starter NeoXx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, if you're deciding between Spivak's Calculus and "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H.Hardy to study over summer after completing your A-Levels, it is recommended to start with "A Course of Pure Mathematics" as Spivak's book is known to be quite difficult. However, if you find Hardy's book is not to your liking, don't hesitate to look for another. While Spivak's book is good, it may be necessary to skip some problems or seek additional resources online.
NeoXx
Hello,

I just finished A-Levels (high school) and I bought two maths books to study over summer.

I got Spivak's Calculus and "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H.Hardy.

With which book should I start? Or should I learn from them simultaneously?

Regards,

NeoXx

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're set to choose between these two, I'd probably go for "A Course of Pure Mathematics" first. Spivak's book is considered to be a very hard book to go through.

TheAustrian said:
If you're set to choose between these two, I'd probably go for "A Course of Pure Mathematics" first. Spivak's book is considered to be a very hard book to go through.

Thanks.

I'm not convinced that Hardy's book is a good book. If you find it isn't so good, look for another. Spivak is good but don't take it too seriously, be prepared to skip a few problems or to read more about topics online (if you need to I mean).

I would recommend starting with Spivak's Calculus. This book is specifically designed for students who have just completed high school and are looking to deepen their understanding of calculus. It covers all the essential topics and provides clear explanations and examples. "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H.Hardy may be more suitable for advanced students or those looking for a more theoretical approach to calculus. It is always best to have multiple resources when learning a subject, so I would suggest using both books simultaneously to supplement your understanding. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the best book to use for learning calculus?

The best book to use for learning calculus will vary depending on your personal learning style and preference. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

2. Is it better to start with a basic calculus book or a more advanced one?

It is recommended to start with a basic calculus book if you are new to the subject. This will provide a solid foundation and understanding of the fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced material.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to use a calculus book?

Having a strong math background is helpful, but not necessarily required. Most calculus books will review necessary pre-calculus concepts and provide examples and explanations to guide you through the material.

4. Are there any online resources or supplements that go along with calculus books?

Yes, many calculus books have online resources and supplements such as practice problems, video lectures, and interactive tools to help with understanding and applying the concepts. It is recommended to check the publisher's website for any additional resources.

5. How can I determine which calculus book is right for me?

To determine which calculus book is right for you, consider your learning style, level of mathematical background, and the specific topics and applications you are interested in. You can also read reviews and compare different books to see which one aligns best with your needs and goals.