Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues

In summary, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are mathematical objects that describe a function or system in terms of its constituent parts. They can be used to calculate certain properties of the function or system, and can be used to explain the behavior of the function or system in terms of its underlying physical laws.
kipper
Hi,
I am having a lot of difficulty conceptually understanding what eigenfunctions and eigenvalues actually are, their physical meaning, i.e. what they represent, and how they interact.
Would anybody happen to be able to explain them in relatively simple terms?
I didn't know whether to put this question in maths or here, hopefully i chose right.
Cheers
Kipper

Likes saintlydays
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the best is to begin by thinking about it in terms of 2 dimensions. Say in a real plane, you define a cartesian orthonormal coordinate system. Now say you define a linear transformation of every vector by multiplying the x-coordinate by a number, and the y-coordinate by another number. Both x and y directions correspond to possible eigenvectors with the corresponding eigenvalues.

In general, you could have represented your vector space with another coordinate system, say just if you had rotated your axis you would still work with an orthonormal system. Then your linear transformation is no longer just multiplication of coordinates by their respective eigenvalues. Now the linear transformation is not represented by a diagonal matrix anymore.

I think it is best to work one's way up building increasingly complex examples. In addition, I am sure others will suggest different points of view.

an eigenfunction of an operator is just a generalization of eigenvector to a matrix.

one of the postulates of QM (copenhagen interpretation) is that the state is repsented by a eigenfunctions to operators representing observables. A measurment causes the state to collapse to ONE of those eigenfunctions.

It is easier if you put a more specific question, all of this can easily be found in any textbook on QM

Hi all,
Thanks for the help,
I went through the link that was posted and that seemed to really help aswell.
I've gone through a few books on QM, but they seem to be too confusing initially.
I just need to get aquainted with it properly before i do anything major with it :P
Thanks once again for the help
Kipper

1. What are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions are special functions that, when acted upon by a linear operator, result in a scalar multiple of the original function. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar multiples that are associated with each eigenfunction.

2. What is the significance of eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and differential equations. They allow us to study and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components.

3. How do eigenfunctions and eigenvalues relate to each other?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are intimately related. Each eigenvalue corresponds to a specific eigenfunction, and the eigenvalues determine the behavior and properties of the eigenfunctions.

4. Can eigenfunctions and eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues can be complex numbers. In fact, in some cases, complex eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are necessary to fully describe a system.

5. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues used in practical applications?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as image and sound processing, data compression, and machine learning. They allow us to efficiently analyze and manipulate large amounts of data, making them an essential tool in many fields.