Finding work when displacement is a function of force

In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between calculus and physics, particularly in regards to work calculations. The speaker asks about the equation W=∫F(d)Δd and whether it can be rewritten as W=∫d(F)ΔF. They also inquire about the impact of displacement being a function of time on work calculations, and ask for a mathematical explanation rather than a physics-based one. The responder clarifies that work is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance, and that time can be considered a parameter when determining force and displacement. A simple example is given to illustrate this concept.
smengler
Hi, I've taken introductory calculus and am doing algebra based physics, but I'm trying to understand how to relate calculus to physics. This is more of a theoretical question than a practical one, so I might be rambling on about something that doesn't even work.

I know that W=∫F(d)Δd, but what would you do if you have displacement as a function of force instead? Could you say that W=∫d(F)ΔF ? Would this give you a correct answer?

Another question, back to the original equation W=∫F(d)Δd, if displacement is a function on time, will this make any difference when determining work? I think that it does not, but I am not sure. My reasoning is that if you had d(t) = 5t^2, force is still a function of displacement, so when integrating, the displacement should still increase at a constant rate regardless of time. Therefore it would not matter if displacement changes with respect to time since force is independent of time. Is this correct (if you can even understand what I'm asking :smile: )? I'm looking for a mathematical reasoning more than a "physics" reasoning. Anyways, thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second paragraph suggests that you may have a misconception. To calculate work you need to multiply the whole of the force (I'm uneasy about ΔF) by the distance it moves through. This assumes these are in the same direction; in general you take the dot product of the force and the displacement (though I know this is not the issue which worries you).

It's commonly the case that force and/or displacement is/are functions(s) of time. This doesn't affect the basic definition of work as dW = F.dr. Regard time, if you like, as a parameter in terms of which the force, F, on the body and/or, r, the body's displacement, can be expressed.

Simple example: suppose a body has velocity v, and is acted upon by a constant force F. In time dt the work done on it will be dtF.v.

Last edited:

1. How is displacement related to force?

Displacement is directly proportional to force. This means that the greater the applied force, the greater the displacement of an object will be.

2. What is the equation for displacement as a function of force?

The equation for displacement as a function of force is: D = F/K, where D is the displacement, F is the applied force, and K is the constant of proportionality.

3. How does displacement affect finding work?

Displacement is a crucial component in calculating work. The work done is equal to the force applied multiplied by the displacement in the direction of the force.

4. Can displacement be negative in this scenario?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the object moves in the opposite direction of the applied force. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force being applied.

5. How does the direction of the force affect displacement?

The direction of the force affects the direction of displacement. If the force is applied in the same direction as the displacement, the work done will be positive. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.