Determine Matrix of Rotation Vector & Angle of Rotation ##\phi##

In summary, the principal values of the right stretch tensor have a multiplicity of two and the axis of the rotation tensor is along ##\hat{\mathbf{N}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left(\hat{\mathbf{I}}_1 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_2 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_3\right)##. The matrix of the rotation vector can be found using the Rodrigues formula with an angle of rotation of ##\phi = \pi##.
Dustinsfl
Consider the deformation field
\begin{alignat*}{3}
x_1 & = & X_1 - AX_2 + AX_3\\
x_2 & = & X_2 - AX_3 + AX_1\\
x_3 & = & X_3 - AX_1 + AX_2
\end{alignat*}
where ##A## is a constant. Show that the principal values of the right stretch tensor have a multiplicity of two, and that the axis of the rotation tensor is along ##\hat{\mathbf{N}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left(\hat{\mathbf{I}}_1 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_2 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_3\right)##. Determine the matrix of the rotation vector together with the angle of rotation ##\phi##.

How do I determine the matrix of rotation and the angle phi?

The deformation gradient, ##\mathbf{F}##, is given by
$$
\mathbf{F} =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & -A & A\\
A & 1 & -A\\
-A & A & 1
\end{bmatrix}.
$$
Then ##\mathbf{C} = \mathbf{F}^T\mathbf{F}##. So ##\Lambda_1 = 1##, ##\Lambda_{2,3} = \sqrt{1 + 3A^2} = \beta## which is the square root of the eigenvalues of ##\mathbf{C}##. If we take the eigenvectors and multiple them together such that we end up with three ##3\times 3## matrices, we will have
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}\quad
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}\quad
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}\quad
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & -1 & 0\\
-1 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}.
$$
The right stretch tensor ##\mathbf{U}## is given by ##\mathbf{U}
= \Lambda_1 \mathbf{N}_1\otimes\mathbf{N}_1
+ \Lambda_2 \mathbf{N}_2\otimes\mathbf{N}_2
+ \Lambda_3 \mathbf{N}_3\otimes\mathbf{N}_3## where ##\mathbf{N}_i## for ##i = 1,2,3## are the eigenvectors.
$$
\mathbf{U} =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 + 2\beta & 1 - \beta & 1 - \beta\\
1 - \beta & 1 + \beta & 1\\
1 - \beta & 1 & 1 + \beta
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Then ##\mathbf{R} = \mathbf{F}\mathbf{U}^{-1}##.
$$
\mathbf{R} = \frac{1}{9\beta}
\begin{bmatrix}
\beta + 2 & \beta - 9A - 1 & \beta + 9A - 1\\
\beta + 3A - 1 & \beta + 3A + 5 & \beta - 6A - 4\\
\beta - 3A - 1 & \beta + 6A - 4 & \beta - 3A + 5
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
The principal values of the right stretch tensor have multiplicity two since ##\Lambda_1 = \Lambda_2 = \Lambda_3##. The axis of rotation is along ##\hat{\mathbf{N}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} (\hat{\mathbf{I}}_1 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_2 + \hat{\mathbf{I}}_3)##. To find the matrix of the rotation vector and the angle of rotation, we can use the Rodrigues formula.$$ \mathbf{R} = I + \hat{\mathbf{N}}\times + \hat{\mathbf{N}}\times^2(1 - \cos\phi)$$So the matrix of the rotation vector is$$ \hat{\mathbf{N}}\times = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -1 & 1\\ 1 & 0 & -1\\ -1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$and the angle of rotation is ##\phi = 2\arccos(\frac{1}{2}) = \pi##.

1. What is a matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation?

A matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional rotation. This matrix is used to describe the orientation of an object in space after it has been rotated by a certain angle around a given vector.

2. How is the matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation calculated?

The matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation is calculated using a formula that takes into account the rotation angle and the coordinates of the rotation vector. The resulting matrix can then be used to rotate a point or object by multiplying it with the original coordinates.

3. What is the purpose of using a matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation?

The purpose of using a matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation is to efficiently describe and manipulate the rotation of objects in three-dimensional space. This allows for precise positioning and orientation of objects in computer graphics, robotics, and other fields that deal with 3D rotations.

4. How is the matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation represented?

The matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation is typically represented as a 3x3 matrix, with each element representing the rotation of a particular axis. The elements of the matrix are determined based on the angle of rotation and the coordinates of the rotation vector.

5. Can the matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation be used for any type of rotation?

Yes, the matrix of rotation vector and angle of rotation can be used to represent any type of rotation in three-dimensional space, including rotations around a single axis or multiple axes. It is a versatile tool for describing rotations and can be applied in a variety of applications.