Manipulating spin of entangled particles

In summary, quantum entanglement involves two entangled particles, such as two electrons, whose spins cannot be predicted until one is measured, causing the other to adopt the opposite spin. However, if one particle's spin is manipulated, the other will not automatically respond in the same way.
koletpa
Hello all!

I'm trying to wrap my head around this quantum entanglement thingy. As far as I have understood, if you have two entangled particles, say two electrones, it is impossible to predict their spins since they are thought to be in superposition of both up and down. But if you measure the spin of one of them, the wave function collapses and the other instantly adopts the opposite spin.

But what happens if you manipulate the spin of one of the electrones, once you know it?

Let's say you put one of the entangled electrones in a strong magnetic field and change its spin from up to down. Would the other electrone respond to this and change its own spin from down to up the moment you did it?

I'm new to all this, but really fascinated. I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before. I've been watching youtube-videos, and people seem a bit confused. Some say "whatever you do to one of the particles, the other will do the same", but that's not really true, is it?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
koletpa said:
Let's say you put one of the entangled electrones in a strong magnetic field and change its spin from up to down. Would the other electrone respond to this and change its own spin from down to up the moment you did it?
Nope! The entanglement affects only the initial state of the particles. Once that is resolved, they're free to act independently of each other.

What is meant by "manipulating spin of entangled particles"?

"Manipulating spin of entangled particles" refers to changing the spin state of particles that are entangled, meaning they are correlated in a way that their properties are linked regardless of distance. This manipulation can involve applying external forces or using techniques such as quantum gates to control the spin of these particles.

Why is manipulating spin of entangled particles important?

Manipulating spin of entangled particles is important because it allows for the creation of quantum technologies such as quantum computers and quantum communication networks. These technologies have the potential to greatly enhance our computing power and secure communication, leading to advancements in various fields such as medicine, finance, and cybersecurity.

How are entangled particles manipulated?

Entangled particles can be manipulated by using techniques such as quantum gates, which involve applying controlled operations to the particles to change their spin state. Other methods include using external forces such as magnetic fields or lasers to manipulate the particles' spin.

What are the challenges in manipulating spin of entangled particles?

One of the main challenges in manipulating spin of entangled particles is maintaining the entanglement between the particles. Any disturbance or interaction with the environment can cause the entanglement to break, making it difficult to manipulate the spin of the particles accurately. Another challenge is controlling the spin of multiple entangled particles simultaneously and without errors.

What are the potential applications of manipulating spin of entangled particles?

The potential applications of manipulating spin of entangled particles are vast and include quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing. These technologies have the potential to greatly improve our ability to process and transmit information, leading to advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence, cryptography, and precision measurements.