Finding the charge on the outer surface of the conductor

In summary: In this case, the problem statement describes a "net charge of +10x10(-6) C" on the surface. Since the internal cavity surface also has a charge (q = -3.0x10(-6) C), the net charge on the outer surface must be the sum of these two, which is +10x10(-6) + (-3.0x10(-6)) = +1.3x10(-5) CIn summary, an isolated conductor with a net charge of +10x10^-6C has a cavity with a point charge of +3.0x10^-6C. The charge on the cavity wall is -3.0x10^-6C and
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm having troubles getting the last part of this question. An isolated conductor of arbitreary shape has a net charge of +10x10^-6C. Inside the conductor is a cavity within which is a point charge q = +3.0x10^-6C. What is the charge (a) on the cavity wall and (b) on the outer surface of the conductor?

I got (a) which is -3.0x10^-6C because the charge insdie a conductor has to be 0. But (b) is +1.3x10^-5C. I have no idea how they came up with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone. I'm having troubles getting the last part of this question. An isolated conductor of arbitreary shape has a net charge of +10x10^-6C. Inside the conductor is a cavity within which is a point charge q = +3.0x10^-6C. What is the charge (a) on the cavity wall and (b) on the outer surface of the conductor?

I got (a) which is -3.0x10^-6C because the charge insdie a conductor has to be 0. But (b) is +1.3x10^-5C. I have no idea how they came up with this.
charges on a conductor can only exist on the surfaces (like the outer surfaces, or the wall surface of an internal cavity). the problem states the total NET charge on the conductor (surfaces) is +10x10(-6) Coulombs. since you've already correctly determined the internal cavity surface charge to be -3.0x10(-6) C, the remainder must be on the outer surface:
outer surface charge = (total NET charge) - (inner cavity surface charge)
= (+10x10(-6)) - (-3.0x10(-6))
= +1.3x10(-5) C

Last edited:
awesome thanks, but i don't understand why in your calculation you included the negative sign with the charge, i thought it has no mathamatical significance?

mr_coffee said:
awesome thanks, but i don't understand why in your calculation you included the negative sign with the charge, i thought it has no mathamatical significance?
charge sign ("+" or "-") is generally significant and should be included in your calculations.

What is the concept of finding the charge on the outer surface of a conductor?

The charge on the outer surface of a conductor refers to the distribution of electric charge on the outer surface of a conducting material. This charge is responsible for the behavior of the electric field around the conductor.

How is the charge on the outer surface of a conductor distributed?

The charge on the outer surface of a conductor is distributed evenly and is known as the surface charge density. This means that the distribution of charge is uniform along the surface of the conductor.

Why is it important to know the charge on the outer surface of a conductor?

Knowing the charge on the outer surface of a conductor is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the electric field in and around the conductor. It also allows us to calculate the potential difference between different points on the surface.

How can the charge on the outer surface of a conductor be calculated?

The charge on the outer surface of a conductor can be calculated by using Gauss's Law, which states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface. This means that the charge on the outer surface can be determined by measuring the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding the conductor.

What factors affect the charge on the outer surface of a conductor?

The charge on the outer surface of a conductor is affected by several factors, including the amount of charge inside the conductor, the size and shape of the conductor, and the type of material the conductor is made of. Additionally, the presence of other charges or conductors nearby can also affect the distribution of charge on the surface.