I'm new to optics: on lens please

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to the size of an image a lens can see and how to determine the focal length of lenses necessary to fill a CCD area completely. The formula for calculating field of view for a camera type lens is provided, and a question about focusing an object on the slit of a spectrometer is also posed.
Almost
Hi there,

I found myself stuck to a simple question really. Trying to find a solution on my own doesn't guarantee a success. Therefore I would appreciate if any of you can offer me helps to solve the following questions.

1. how big a image a lens can see? You see, when you put the image at the focus of the lens, you get a collimated beam behind the lens, which is then focussed onto a ccd by another lens. Normally, I think this is determined by NA. I did some calculation and found that the spot size is much less than what the lens see. So, how can I know how big an area a lens can see. (given its focal length)

2. this is a related questio to question 1: how can I completely fill ccd? how to determine the focal length of the lenses necessary to fill completely the ccd area.

many thanks,
Almost

Science news on Phys.org
It's bit more complicated than that - you need to calculate the rays for the edge of the field not just the centre.
A simple result for a camera type lens is that FOV = 2 arctan (x / (2 f))
where x=diagonal length of the ccd and f is the focal length.
This gives you the angle in degrees that the lens will image.

If you are trying to build a close-up 1:1 or magnifing imager it's a little different.

I have a more or less related question. Can one focus an object on the slit of a spectrometer by positionning the object close to the lens (<focal length) and slit at infinity (~150m)?

1. What is the purpose of a lens in optics?

A lens in optics is used to refract or bend light in order to focus it or create an image. It is an essential component in many optical devices, such as cameras, microscopes, and telescopes.

2. How does a lens work?

A lens works by changing the direction of light rays that pass through it. The shape and curvature of the lens determine how the light is refracted, resulting in either a magnified or diminished image.

3. What are the different types of lenses?

There are two main types of lenses: convex and concave. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, and they converge light rays to form real images. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, and they diverge light rays to form virtual images.

4. How do I choose the right lens for my needs?

The right lens for your needs will depend on the purpose and application. Factors to consider include focal length, aperture, and magnification. It is best to consult a professional or do research on specific lenses for your intended use.

5. How do I take care of my lenses?

To ensure your lenses last and perform well, it is important to handle them with care and keep them clean. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe away any dust or dirt, and avoid touching the lens surface with your fingers. Store lenses in a protective case when not in use.