Huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens

In summary, a lens that covers a 120x60 cm window would be possible, but would require careful design to minimize distortion and chromatic aberration. It would also need to be custom-made for the individual, which may not be a practical option.
karl131
Hello guys,

I have a question for optics experts, is there any possibility to produce a farsightedness/nearsightedness lens in big dimmensions, without distorting the obsjects or anything else you watch through that lens.

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
How big are the dimensions you have in mind? And you want one lens to work for both eyes at once? That might be pretty challenging. How much distortion and chromatic aberration is acceptable? How much correction (in diopters) do you want to provide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrective_lens

karl131 said:
I have a question for optics experts, is there any possibility to produce a farsightedness/nearsightedness lens in big dimmensions, without distorting the obsjects or anything else you watch through that lens.
If we take 'without' distortions to mean 'minimized' distortions and other aberrations, then the answer is probably yes. But the better question is how expensive, large, and complicated will it be? If your lens is absolutely massive, it will be too large to be of any use at all.

karl131 said:
Hello guys,

Thank you!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I often use binoculars and microscopes without my glasses on by adjusting the eyepiece(s) to compensate- so, yes?

Andy Resnick said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I often use binoculars and microscopes without my glasses on by adjusting the eyepiece(s) to compensate- so, yes?
I mean making a lens in order to cover a window of 120x60 cm. Thank you!

karl131 said:
berkeman said:
How much distortion and chromatic aberration is acceptable? How much correction (in diopters) do you want to provide?

I think the only approach would be the Fresnel lens, which is flat, and uses fine grooves shaped as prisms.

karl131 said:
You would need to keep your head in a fixed position. That could reduce the effectiveness compared with regular varifocal glasses.
Varifocals produce crazy geometrical distortions which take some getting used to. But, after only a few hours, the brain copes well.
The device would need to be specific to the personal prescription so where would be the advantage over normal varifocals?

Andy Resnick said:
I often use binoculars and microscopes without my glasses on by adjusting the eyepiece(s) to compensate-
You're lucky. I have astigmatism in both eyes and when I try looking through binos without specs, the result is very unsatisfactory. It's the same problem with a telescope eyepiece - but only on one axis.

I guess contact lenses would solve the problem but I've tried other people's (disposable) lenses and it's total agony. I must say, conventional glasses have suited me well for nearly seventy years and optical astro doesn't suit my inherent cataracts these days.

Likes Drakkith
sophiecentaur said:
You're lucky. I have astigmatism in both eyes and when I try looking through binos without specs, the result is very unsatisfactory. It's the same problem with a telescope eyepiece - but only on one axis.

I guess contact lenses would solve the problem but I've tried other people's (disposable) lenses and it's total agony. I must say, conventional glasses have suited me well for nearly seventy years and optical astro doesn't suit my inherent cataracts these days.
Interesting point- I also have astigmatism, maybe it's not as bad as yours so I don't notice it. I can't wear contact lenses anymore, either... :(

Likes sophiecentaur
Andy Resnick said:
Interesting point- I also have astigmatism, maybe it's not as bad as yours so I don't notice it. I can't wear contact lenses anymore, either... :(
My astigmatism is not really too bad but the effect on stars and small writing is just so annoying that it takes the pleasure away if I observe without my specs.

1. What is a "huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens"?

A huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens is a corrective lens used to help individuals with severe farsightedness or nearsightedness see clearly. It is a type of eyeglass lens that is thicker and more curved than a regular lens, and is designed to correct extreme refractive errors.

2. How does a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens work?

A huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens works by bending light rays as they enter the eye, in order to focus them properly on the retina. This helps to correct the refractive error and improve vision for individuals with severe farsightedness or nearsightedness.

3. Who needs a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens?

A huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens is typically recommended for individuals with a high degree of farsightedness or nearsightedness, usually beyond -6.00 or +6.00 diopters. These individuals may have difficulty seeing objects at a distance or up close without the use of corrective lenses.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens?

As with any corrective lens, there may be some risks associated with using a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens. These may include eye strain, headaches, or discomfort due to the weight and thickness of the lens. It is important to consult with an eye care professional to determine if this type of lens is suitable for your specific needs.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens?

Depending on the severity of the refractive error, there may be alternative options to using a huge farsightedness/nearsightedness lens. These may include contact lenses, LASIK surgery, or other types of corrective lenses such as bifocals or multifocals. It is best to discuss all options with an eye care professional to determine the best course of treatment for your specific needs.