Loop de loop normal force roller coaster

In summary: But they are related in that the linear acceleration is equal to the rate at which the centripetal acceleration is occurring.
johnj7
hello, I'm trying to study for the mcat, and I have a conceptual question about normal force, mg, and centripetal force during a loop-de-loop on a roller coaster.

Could you validate these force equations?

1. At the very bottom of the loop:
N - mg = ma = mv^2 / r
N = mg + ma

2. At the side of the loop:
N = ma = mv^2 / r
the normal force is providing all of the centripetal acceleration

3. At the very top of the loop:
N + mg = ma = mv^2 / r
N = ma - mg

Thus the normal force would be the greatest at the bottom of the loop, and least at the top of the loop.

Is all of this correct?

also, for the very top of the loop, since normal force and weight are directed downward, what force prevents the cart from just dropping off the tracts?
in relation to the previous question, what is happening on the side of the loop?

thank you very much !

Physics news on Phys.org
johnj7 said:
hello, I'm trying to study for the mcat, and I have a conceptual question about normal force, mg, and centripetal force during a loop-de-loop on a roller coaster.

Could you validate these force equations?

1. At the very bottom of the loop:
N - mg = ma = mv^2 / r
N = mg + ma
Good.

2. At the side of the loop:
N = ma = mv^2 / r
the normal force is providing all of the centripetal acceleration
Yes, the normal force provides the centripetal acceleration. But it's not the only force acting on the coaster. So N = ma_c ≠ ma

3. At the very top of the loop:
N + mg = ma = mv^2 / r
N = ma - mg
Good.

Thus the normal force would be the greatest at the bottom of the loop, and least at the top of the loop.
Good.

Is all of this correct?

also, for the very top of the loop, since normal force and weight are directed downward, what force prevents the cart from just dropping off the tracts?
The fact that it's moving is what prevents the cart from falling off, not any upward force. (Just like when you toss a ball in the air. What force makes the ball rise? :wink:)
in relation to the previous question, what is happening on the side of the loop?
Same basic idea, but see my note above regarding #2.

Hmm, I don't think its highly important, but when the roller coaster is on the side, and the Normal force is not the only force acting.. what would the force equations look like?

ie:

Fy : N = ma_c
Fx : mg = ma

??

also, are centripetal acceleration and linear acceleration related?

if so, how? what variables would I need?

thank you very much!

johnj7 said:
Hmm, I don't think its highly important, but when the roller coaster is on the side, and the Normal force is not the only force acting.. what would the force equations look like?

ie:

Fy : N = ma_c
Fx : mg = ma
Good. (Where x is vertical and y is horizontal.)
also, are centripetal acceleration and linear acceleration related?
Not fundamentally.

1. What is the purpose of the loop de loop in a roller coaster?

The loop de loop is a thrilling element in a roller coaster that adds excitement and intensity to the ride. It also allows for a change in direction and speed, creating a unique experience for riders.

2. How does the normal force play a role in a loop de loop roller coaster?

The normal force is the force exerted by the track on the roller coaster car to keep it on the track. In a loop de loop, the normal force is crucial in keeping the riders safely in their seats as they go through the loop.

3. What factors affect the normal force in a loop de loop roller coaster?

The speed of the roller coaster, the radius of the loop, and the mass of the riders all affect the normal force. A higher speed or smaller radius will result in a greater normal force, while a heavier load will require a higher normal force.

4. How is the normal force calculated in a loop de loop roller coaster?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula N = mv2/r, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the roller coaster, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the loop.

5. Is the normal force the same throughout the entire loop de loop?

No, the normal force changes throughout the loop de loop. It is highest at the bottom of the loop where the speed is greatest and decreases as the roller coaster car moves up the loop. At the top of the loop, the normal force is zero, meaning the track is not exerting any force on the car.