Am i right on this? Newtons secocd law hw problem

In summary, when adding forces together, positive is typically assigned to the direction of the force pushing or pulling an object, while negative is assigned to the opposite direction. In the given homework problem, the boat's acceleration can be calculated by using Newton's second law and setting the opposing forces as negative. The resulting acceleration is 0.171 m/s squared due west.
mr.coon
this is from ch 4 of cutnell & johnson physics

when you add forces together such as the ones in the problem below, how do you know which ones are positive and which ones are negative? does it have to do with their relation on the xy axis? or does it have to do with the direction the object is trying to travel?

hw problem:

A boat has a mass of 6800 kg. Its engines generate a drive force of 3300 N, due west, while the wind exerts a force of 940 N, due east, and the water exerts a resistive force of 1200 N due east. What is the magnitude and direction of the boat's acceleration?

this is my attempt at the homework problem:

sum of the forces = -1610 then i divide that by the mass of the ship giving me -.237m/s^2 W as the a and direction of the ship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mr.coon ^^

& Welcome to the PF

Let positive be west and negative be east since they are opposite directions.

The forces are 3300 , -940 , -1200

The sum of the forces : 3300-940-1200= 1160 N

Newtons law F=ma is used

F = 1160 N
m = 6800 Kg
a = Find It ^^

thanks for the quick reply. i am taking this class for the third time and i am finally reaching out for help.

so sense the ship is traveling west i set the opposing forces as negative:

net F = 3300N - 490N - 1200N = 1160N

then F= ma so a= F/m = 1160/6800 = 0.171 m/s squared due west

final answer = 0.171 m/s squared due west

Yup , U R right ^^

We are here anytime . Feel Free to ask .

May God Help U In your Study ^^

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How do I apply Newton's second law to a homework problem?

To apply Newton's second law to a homework problem, you will need to identify the net force acting on the object and its mass. Then, use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.

What are the units for Newton's second law?

The units for Newton's second law are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What are some common mistakes when using Newton's second law?

Some common mistakes when using Newton's second law include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object or using incorrect units for force and mass.

Can Newton's second law be used to solve any type of problem?

Yes, Newton's second law can be used to solve problems involving motion and forces in both one and two dimensions.