Distance Formula: Find JK Distance to Nearest Tenth

• Thread starter xowe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the distance between two points, J(2,-1) and K(2,5), and the solution involved using the distance formula. One person correctly calculated the distance as 6, while another pointed out that since the x coordinates were the same, the distance could simply be found by subtracting the y coordinates. This was a helpful tip for future calculations.
xowe
Yah, easy I know, but I got a little confused. Okay, here's the problem:
Find the distance between the points to the nearest tenth. J(2,-1) K(2,5) Here's what I did. d=√(2-2)^2+(5-(-1)^2 (the ^2 means squared) √(2-2)^2=0 so I'm left with √(5-(-1)^2= √(6)^2= √36=6 Ok, so how did I do? I wasn't sure if what I did was right, I think so, but I just needed to make sure. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct.

In fact, in that case, since the x coordinates of (2,-1) and (2,5) are the same so the distance is just the distance between -1 and 5 on a number line: 5-(-1)= 6.

Oh, yah I never thought about that. Heh, that would have saved some time, I'll remember that! Thanks to both of you.

What is the distance formula and how does it work?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points on a coordinate plane. It is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and works by finding the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle formed by the two points and the x and y axes.

How do I use the distance formula to find the distance between two points?

To use the distance formula, you need to know the coordinates of the two points. Then, you plug those values into the formula:
d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2)
Once you have calculated the value, you can round it to the nearest tenth to find the distance between the two points.

What is the significance of finding the distance between two points?

Finding the distance between two points is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps to determine the length of a line segment, the displacement of an object, and the magnitude of a vector. It also plays a crucial role in problem-solving and understanding spatial relationships.

Can the distance formula be used for any two points on a coordinate plane?

Yes, the distance formula can be used for any two points on a coordinate plane, as long as you have their coordinates. It does not matter where the points are located or what quadrant they are in, the formula will still work to find the distance between them.

How accurate is the distance calculated using the distance formula?

The distance calculated using the distance formula is accurate to the nearest tenth. This means that the result may not be an exact value, but it is a close approximation. However, the accuracy can be improved by using more precise coordinates or by using a more advanced formula, such as the Pythagorean theorem for three-dimensional distances.