Continuous Extension of Function at Origin: Can f=1?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to define a function f: ℝ² → ℝ at the origin so that it remains continuous. The solution involves using polar coordinates and extending the function to include the origin with the value of 1. The conversation also brings up a related question that involves a different function.
Alexx1
How can the function

f: ℝ² → ℝ : (x,y) |--> [tex]{{x^2+y^2-(x^3y^3)}\over{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] if (x,y) ≠ (0,0)

be defined in the origin so that we get a continuous function?When I take 'x=y' (so (y,y)) and 'y=x' (so (x,x)) I get:

[tex]{{2-y^4}\over{2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]{{2-x^4}\over{2}}[/tex]

So for the first one I get '1' when y=0
and for the second one I get '1' when x=0

So can I say that if (x,y)=0 --> f=1 ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can extend your function to a continuous one if you define f(0,0)=1.

Petr Mugver said:
Yes, you can extend your function to a continuous one if you define f(0,0)=1.

Thx!

In order to make this general, you should switch to polar coordinates.

Then, we can transforme the fraction to:
[tex]\frac{r^{2}-r^{6}\sin^{3}\theta\cos^{3}\theta}{r^{2}}=1-r^{4}\sin^{3}\theta\cos^{3}\theta, r\neq{0}[/tex]
clearly, this is readily extendable for r=0.

arildno said:
In order to make this general, you should switch to polar coordinates.

Then, we can transforme the fraction to:
[tex]\frac{r^{2}-r^{6}\sin^{3}\theta\cos^{3}\theta}{r^{2}}=1-r^{4}\sin^{3}\theta\cos^{3}\theta, r\neq{0}[/tex]
clearly, this is readily extendable for r=0.

Thank you very much!
And how about this one?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=421612

1. What is continuous extension of function at origin?

Continuous extension of function at origin refers to the process of extending a given function to make it continuous at the point of origin (x=0). This means that the value of the function at x=0 is equal to the limit of the function as x approaches 0 from both the left and right sides.

2. Why is it important to have a continuous function at the origin?

Having a continuous function at the origin is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of the function at this critical point. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and does not have any "jumps" or discontinuities at x=0.

3. Can any function be continuously extended at the origin?

No, not all functions can be continuously extended at the origin. Functions that have a vertical asymptote or a discontinuity at x=0 cannot be extended to be continuous at this point. Additionally, some functions may require specific conditions or adjustments to be made in order to achieve continuous extension at the origin.

4. How can we determine if a function can be continuously extended at the origin?

We can determine if a function can be continuously extended at the origin by looking at its graph and checking for any vertical asymptotes or discontinuities at x=0. If there are none, we can then use the limit definition of continuity to check if the function can be extended to be continuous at the origin.

5. Can f=1 if a function is continuously extended at the origin?

Yes, if a function is continuously extended at the origin, it means that the value of the function at x=0 is equal to the limit of the function as x approaches 0 from both sides. This means that the function's value at x=0 is determined by the behavior of the function at points very close to x=0, and therefore, it is possible for the function to have a value of 1 at this point.