Density word problem A 300 kg meterorite is in circular motion orbiting a far

In summary, the professor told me to use a formula to solve for the question and provided a GMplanet = (v^2 x d)/a. The knowns are the mass of the planet M, the distance r, and the velocity v. The unknown is the acceleration. I was told to use the following equation to solve for the acceleration: GMplanet = (v^2 x d)/a. I was also given the knowns for the mass of the meteorite, 300 kg, and the radius of the planet, 2.00 x 10^8. With these knowns, I was able to solve for the acceleration using the equation: a = GMplanet/v^2.
vipson231

Homework Statement

So my professor gave me this formula GMplanet = (v^2 x d)/a to solve for the question and told me that m/v = density. I was told then to multiply the end result of m by 1000 and v by 1,000,000 to get the answer. I am given all the knowns except the acceleration. How do i find the acceleration?

Attachments

• a 300 kg...jpg
    a 300 kg...jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org

Start by identifying your variables and assign any given values. It looks like you're using "v" for both velocity and volume. What's d? What's a?

I was told that the distance is equal to the radius which is equal to 2.00 x 10^8 and that the velocity is 7000 m/s for the faraway planet.

Once I plug these values into the formula it looks like

(6.67 x 10^-11)(Mass of planet)= (7000)^2 x (2.00 x 10^8) / a

However what do i do with the a? so confused :(

vipson231 said:
I was told that the distance is equal to the radius which is equal to 2.00 x 10^8 and that the velocity is 7000 m/s for the faraway planet.

Once I plug these values into the formula it looks like

(6.67 x 10^-11)(Mass of planet)= (7000)^2 x (2.00 x 10^8) / a

However what do i do with the a? so confused :(

You need to get the quantities and what they represent sorted out. Read the problem statement and assign variable names to the numbers given. For example, the meteorite is given a mass of 300 kg, so define m1 = 300 kg. Do the same for the other numbers given in the problem statement, assigning each an appropriate variable.

It's not clear to me what the formula you've written out is supposed to represent. Perhaps it's a misinterpretation of the formula for the orbital velocity for a body in circular orbit at orbit radius r around a planet of mass M? That would be:

$$v^2 = \frac{GM}{r}$$

I don't know what your "d" or "a" are supposed to represent in this scenario.

The formula that you provided for the orbital velocity above is indeed the right interpretation of the question. I perhaps either copied it wrong or didn't use the right formula. I'll try to solve this question using your formula. Thanks =)

1. What is density?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume.

2. How do you find the density of a meterorite?

To find the density of a meterorite, you would need to measure its mass and volume. Then, you can use the formula density = mass/volume to calculate its density.

3. What is the unit of density?

The unit of density is typically expressed in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) in the metric system or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) in the imperial system.

4. How does circular motion affect density?

Circular motion does not directly affect density. However, it can affect the force of gravity acting on an object, which in turn can affect its weight and therefore its density.

5. Can density be negative?

No, density cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since both mass and volume are positive quantities.