Why Antarctica ice is fresh water

by meni ohana
Tags: antarctica, fresh, water
Share this thread:
meni ohana
Jul15-14, 06:37 PM
P: 66
Hello everyone!

my question is why the ice of Antarctica and arctic, it is made of sweet/fresh water,even though it is water of the sea that froze as far as i know. at least in antarctica there is land underneath so just maybe it is accumulation of rain and snow and hail though it does sound unlikely, but what about arctic, there is no land just ice of frozen water, yet i always here it is fresh water. on the other hand maybe some sea water froze and it became like the land of the southern pole, i.e rain, hail and snow covered the salty ice
clear that for me please

Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
olivermsun
Jul15-14, 06:44 PM
P: 659
This article on Brine rejection might explain some of what you're curious about.

But yes, freezing at high latitudes is generally what creates both (freshwater) ice and cold, salty (dense) water that tends to sink.
Ophiolite
Jul15-14, 11:18 PM
P: 274
The vast majority of Antarctic ice (and that of Greenland) is the product of snowfall. The seasonal sea ice is thin and inconsequential in volume terms.

olivermsun
Jul16-14, 05:24 PM
Why Antarctica ice is fresh water

Sure, but the OP asked specifically about sea ice (no land underneath) in the Arctic.
Ophiolite
Jul17-14, 06:50 AM
P: 274
Quote Quote by olivermsun View Post
Sure, but the OP asked specifically about sea ice (no land underneath) in the Arctic.
With respect, the OP asked this: "at least in antarctica there is land underneath so just maybe it is accumulation of rain and snow and hail though it does sound unlikely".

I addressed that implicit question. My response was on topic. The issue of sea ice had been accurately dealt with via your earlier response. What's the problem?
olivermsun
Jul17-14, 04:29 PM
Quote Quote by Ophiolite View Post
With respect, the OP asked this: "at least in antarctica there is land underneath so just maybe it is accumulation of rain and snow and hail though it does sound unlikely".

I addressed that implicit question. My response was on topic. The issue of sea ice had been accurately dealt with via your earlier response. What's the problem?
No problem, I just thought the OP already believed that precip was the source of Antarctic accumulation, but it was nice to have you confirm that.

Register to reply