Exploring Shocking Roulette: Electrical Toy EEI

• Thread starter chigga
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation discusses Shocking Roulette, an electrical toy that randomly shocks one player's finger. The speaker is doing an EEI (Extended Experimental Investigation) on electrical toys and is looking for information on how Shocking Roulette works and what parts are used. Another person mentions that they have never heard of the toy and shares a link with some information about it. They also mention a similar device called a Tens unit which is used for back pain and works by stimulating nerves without stimulating muscles. The conversation also touches on the dangers of electric shock and the importance of avoiding any path through the heart.
chigga
i am doing an EEI on electrical toys. the toy I've chosen is Shocking Roulette, can anyone tell me how they work or link me to a site which has what parts are used etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's an EEI?

I never heard of "shocking roulette, google finds

http://www.zymetrical.com/product.asp?3=622&dc=3h5b42e&gclid=CIqw3JXboYUCFRsmPwodYG2GvQ

I don't know how they work.

For back pain, they make "shocking" devices with a more medicinal purpose, called "Tens" units. Tens units work by generating very short pulses through pulse transformers, IIRC. (The pulse transformer raises the voltage of an otherwise low-voltage pulse). The idea behind the Tens unit is to stimulate nerves without having a long enough electrical impulse to stimulate muscles, even if the pulse reaches a muscle (such as, worst case, the heart).

There's a fair amount of info on tens units available on the WWW. You might even find schematics.

I think there are some perscription/licensiing/regulatory issues for medical devices like the Tens unit - the "shocking roulette" doesn't look like it meets any of those. The physical design of the unit I saw on google looks like any current generated would only flow through the finger and not reach the heart.

The "killer" in electricity is any path through the heart. If a path throught he heart is avoided, the main damange mechanism for electrical shock is by heating (burning) as far as I know, but I'm not an expert.

I know pretty much nothing about electronics, but I might have a bit of an insight into this. A friend of mine once had a piezoelectric butane lighter that didn't work properly. Just a valve problem, but of course I had to disassemble the whole thing to see what made it tick. When I put it back together, I inadvertently left out a small mica spacer that apparently shielded the case from the spark mechanism. Got a nasty bit of surprise when I tried to light the thing.
After I put the spacer back where it belonged, there was no problem.

EEI = Extended Experimental Investigation

Shock Roulette is a game for 4 people and acts like russian roulette where someone is randomly shocked through the finger...

1. What is Shocking Roulette?

Shocking Roulette is an electrical toy that is designed to shock players when they press the button. It is often used as a game of chance or a prank to create a shocking and thrilling experience.

2. How does Shocking Roulette work?

Shocking Roulette works by using electricity to deliver a shock to the player who presses the button. The toy contains a small electrical circuit that delivers a mild shock when the button is pressed. The intensity of the shock can usually be adjusted to different levels.

3. Is Shocking Roulette safe to use?

Shocking Roulette is generally considered safe to use as long as it is used as intended and with caution. The shock delivered by the toy is usually mild and not harmful, but it is important to follow the instructions and not use the toy on sensitive areas of the body. It is not recommended for children or individuals with heart conditions or other medical issues.

4. What are some potential risks of using Shocking Roulette?

While Shocking Roulette is generally safe to use, there are some potential risks to be aware of. The shock delivered by the toy can be uncomfortable or startling, and there is a small risk of skin irritation or burns if the toy is used for an extended period of time. It is important to use the toy responsibly and not use it on sensitive areas of the body.

5. How can Shocking Roulette be used for scientific purposes?

Shocking Roulette can be used for scientific purposes to study the effects of electricity on the human body. It can also be used as a tool to demonstrate concepts such as electrical conductivity and resistance. Additionally, Shocking Roulette can be used in psychology experiments to study reactions to unexpected or startling stimuli.