Rubber soled slippers generating static electricity

In summary: I touch anything.In summary, it's difficult to find shoes or slippers that will not give me an electric shock when I touch them, and even if I find some, they are likely to be expensive.
froggy123
I started having this problem with wearing slippers (or any shoes with rubber soles) in the house because the rubber, rubs the carpet and charges me up. Anything metal that I touch gives me a mild-nasty shock depending on how charged up I am. I tried different kinds of slippers and socks, I tried wearing my sneakers or crocs, but as long as it has a rubber sole, it charges me up. I even tried touching something metal every few minutes to balance out the shocks but I kept forgetting, and it isn't fun touching something that you know will give you a shock!

For the last few months I have just been wearing socks around the house which is cold in the winter and painful when I stub my toe.

It seems that every slipper is made with rubber soles these days. I can't find anything else. It would be so great if I could find a solution. Some kind of shoe or slipper to wear around the house that will protect my feet and not make me get an electric shock whenever I touch anything. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:
froggy123 said:
Some kind of shoe or slipper to wear around the house that will protect my feet and not make me get an electric shock whenever I touch anything. Help would be greatly appreciated

on a carpet, in the winter time, that's going to be VERY difficult

Winter time, when dry atmosphere = low humidity, can be particularly bad for static buildup.
This is usually not a problem during the summer when atmospheric humidity is much higher.

The reason is that, when the air is more humid static tends to bleed off easier and doesn't have a chance to accumulateJust about any footwear on a carpet in low humidity is going to be a problemDave

froggy123 said:
I tried wearing my sneakers or crocs, but as long as it has a rubber sole, it charges me up.
Can you try leather slippers that you treat regularly with moisturizing leather cleaner? Or you could try slippers made with a synthetic hide, if you'd prefer not to wear clothing made from ranch animal hide.

Alternately, you may be able to mix some conductive <something> in with your carpet shampoo to make your carpet more conductive. I'm not sure what that would be, but there should be something out there (I can try searching for it if you want). You can also buy an inexpensive ESD meter to measure the effectiveness of your solutions. I'll post a link to some of those in a follow-up reply. :smile:

Shoes again.jpg

Attachments

• Shoes again.jpg
    Shoes again.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3,756
berkeman said:
Can you try leather slippers that you treat regularly with moisturizing leather cleaner? Or you could try slippers made with a synthetic hide, if you'd prefer not to wear clothing made from ranch animal hide.

Alternately, you may be able to mix some conductive <something> in with your carpet shampoo to make your carpet more conductive. I'm not sure what that would be, but there should be something out there (I can try searching for it if you want). You can also buy an inexpensive ESD meter to measure the effectiveness of your solutions. I'll post a link to some of those in a follow-up reply. :smile:

View attachment 238192

Great ideas. I've been searching for leather sole slippers. They are very expensive but I guess they would last a lot longer. That's a good idea to get carpet shampoo that makes it more conductive, but a lot of work I'd imagine!

davenn said:
Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

on a carpet, in the winter time, that's going to be VERY difficult

Winter time, when dry atmosphere = low humidity, can be particularly bad for static buildup.
This is usually not a problem during the summer when atmospheric humidity is much higher.

The reason is that, when the air is more humid static tends to bleed off easier and doesn't have a chance to accumulateJust about any footwear on a carpet in low humidity is going to be a problemDave

It's weird that I've never had this problem until now. What do others do? Just avoid footwear indoors in the wintertime?

Are these leather soled? I can't tell, it only says that they are soft soled.

https://www.hannahs.co.nz/mens/shoes/slippers/driving-moccasin-brown-leather-slippers-DTS7110?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2eS6uoye4AIViQsrCh0RXAFiEAQYAiABEgIcz_D_BwE
mens-shoes-slippers-driving-moccasin-DTS7110-SIDE.jpg

Attachments

• mens-shoes-slippers-driving-moccasin-DTS7110-SIDE.jpg
    mens-shoes-slippers-driving-moccasin-DTS7110-SIDE.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3,162
froggy123 said:
Are these leather soled? I can't tell, it only says that they are soft soled.

https://www.hannahs.co.nz/mens/shoes/slippers/driving-moccasin-brown-leather-slippers-DTS7110?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2eS6uoye4AIViQsrCh0RXAFiEAQYAiABEgIcz_D_BwE
View attachment 238193
the top is leather ... the bottom looks synthetic

Oh well. Back to google :)

Spray the carpet with liquid fabric softener as used in the laundry.

We had to use this in a Computer store back around 1976. Without the treatment we were kept busy rebooting the computers instead of selling them! We had a spray attachment for a tank-style vacuum cleaner that allowed you to connect the hose to the vacuum exhaust. Even with the high traffic, a treatment would last a couple months. The drawback is the stuff is slightly sticky so the carpet needs vacuuming more often, along with some shampooing now and then.

At least it's cheap, easy, and proven!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes berkeman
froggy123 said:
I started having this problem with wearing slippers (or any shoes with rubber soles) in the house because the rubber, rubs the carpet and charges me up.

Connect an electroscope to your hand to test your hypothesis that you are being charged by the carpet. In my experience people are usually electrified by rising from their chair, not by walking over the carpet. If in your case too it is the chair, the remedy is to touch the metal of the chair while rising from the chair. Then you are neutral while walking over the carpet.

(The carpet may succeed in charging the lower surface of the rubber sole, but because of the insulating rubber sole that charge is unable to flow into your conducting body, towards your finger, and the doorknob.)

spareine said:
In my experience people are usually electrified by rising from their chair, not by walking over the carpet.
NO, no, no ... that isn't correct ... tho movement on/from a chair may cause static discharge to be produced
Most and the worst of it IS caused by moving across carpeted flooring
spareine said:
Then you are neutral while walking over the carpet.

only to be charged up again by moving across the carpet

spareine said:
The carpet may succeed in charging the lower surface of the rubber sole, but because of the insulating rubber sole that charge is unable to flow into your conducting body, towards your finger, and the doorknob.)

Again, completely incorrect
I suggest you go and read up on the subject so that you get a better understanding of the problem

You really do have some serious misunderstandings that are causing you to give poor information :frown:Dave

Likes Tom.G
davenn said:
NO, no, no ... that isn't correct ... tho movement on/from a chair may cause static discharge to be produced

My experience is direct observation from an electroscope connected to the hand, so I am not convinced by your statement. If you have an electroscope, you might try it yourself.

spareine said:
Then you are neutral while walking over the carpet.
I don't need one

I have walked across 100's of carpets and like millions of other people, get zapped all the time

Last edited:
My electroscope thinks the question which you are ignoring is: did those people rise from a chair before walking over the carpet.

spareine said:
My electroscope thinks the question which you are ignoring is: did those people rise from a chair before walking over the carpet.

NO, NO mate, seriously please stop trying to justifying your incorrect position

As I said earlier ... go do some reading and learning

Direct observation with an electroscope is not 'justification'. Which instrument would you use to demonstrate your position?

spareine said:
Which instrument would you use to demonstrate your position?
Direct observation of the spark that jumps from my fingertip to whatever bit of metal I touch and the feeling of the assoc. electric shock ...
It's undeniable evidence and as I said, millions, probably hundreds of millions of people experience it on an everyday basis
spareine said:
did those people rise from a chair before walking over the carpet
chairs are irrelevant
I can come into a room, walk across the carpet, touch something metallic and get a zap. Without doing anything else,
walk back across the room and get another discharge zap on the metal doorknob or some other metal object...
then again, without doing anything else, walk back across the room and get another discharge zap on the metal doorknob
or some other metal object...

this can go on ALL DAY long ... no chairs or anything else involved ... just me, a metal object and some carpet

Again ... Please go do some reading up on electrostatic charge accumulation and dischargeDave

Ok, we are not going to agree. Maybe our carpets and conditions are different, that is another way out.

In my experience, both chairs and carpets are problematic. At work, we don't have carpets, so chairs (and some clothing like sweaters) are the main sources of transient static charge on folks (not in our static-controlled areas of the labs). At home, carpet seems to be the biggest culprit (we have mostly leather chairs at home).

Likes davenn and Tom.G
berkeman said:
At work, we don't have carpets, so chairs (and some clothing like sweaters) are the main sources of transient static charge on folks (not in our static-controlled areas of the labs).
yup, no carpets in our static controlled lab either ... we have anti-static flooring. I didn't know it existed till this new lab was
built for me a year and a bit ago. From memory, this was the mob that our company went to

https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-au/products/marmoleum/conductive-linoleum/b44g69Dave

berkeman said:
In my experience, both chairs and carpets are problematic. At work, we don't have carpets, so chairs (and some clothing like sweaters) are the main sources of transient static charge on folks (not in our static-controlled areas of the labs). At home, carpet seems to be the biggest culprit (we have mostly leather chairs at home).
and getting out the car! I used to get terrible electric shocks from the car door!

Likes Orthoceras, Tom.G and davenn
davenn said:

only to be charged up again by moving across the carpet
Again, completely incorrect
I suggest you go and read up on the subject so that you get a better understanding of the problem

You really do have some serious misunderstandings that are causing you to give poor information :frown:Dave
Sorry old post here but I couldn't leave it alone seeing Davenn saying Spareine is completely incorrect (which is not the case) while providing no actual scientific explanation as to why! After reading all the back and forth talk about poor information being given!

Spareine is correct. The rubber soles are an insulator so no electrons are transferred through them. Getting up from a chair often transfers electrons directly to your body. When you are wearing rubber soles the electrons can't pass through them easily to escape (they are an insulator) , so you get a shock when you touch something metal - you have a negative charge so the electrons pass from your body to the metal.

BUT...

Davenn is also correct that static shocks often happen when wearing rubber shoes from simply walking across the floor, without getting up from a chair. In this case your body is turned into a capacitor of sorts. The rubber shoes pick up electrons from walking across the floor. However, since the shoes are insulators, the electrons don't pass from the shoes into your body. Instead, the buildup of negative charge in the shoes forces electrons already in your body to its extremities (away from the shoes) so essentially your feet gain a positive charge and your fingers get a negative charge. Then when you touch a metal object, the electrons still rush out and cause the static shock.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Of course you don't need chairs! That's very self-limiting to think only personal experiences could describe the scope of all potential events.

At the USAF Academy, where it is over 7,000 feet and often terribly dry in the winter, static was/is a frequent annoyance. People would sometimes even get "gun shy" about touching anything when they walked around a carpeted area. In the academic building, they even put a metal railing all around the hallways so people could tap their knuckles on it to ground themselves as they walked around on the carpeted floors. I tell you, that's a good way to develop OCD habits.

What was funny was when a person would watch fail to do that. Then one would realize one had built up a charge and had a choice. One could keep going and pay the price later, or discharge intentionally and immediately get a shock. It's really funny to watch warriors (e.g., some instructors were combat pilots) as they keep trying to flick a piece of metal but they keep pulling back too soon because they know a bright, blue zap is going to hit them! =:-D Sooner or later, everybody went through that experience. Really, sooner or later anyone gets tired of being zapped! Everyone went through the feeling many times, that knowing a spark will hit you makes it 100 times more intimidating than the actual feeling. =:-D

Likes sophiecentaur
A rather simple work-around:
Hold a piece of metal in your hand and draw the spark from that; a key works well.

If you don't have any metal handy, try slapping the discharge point/object. The physical impact tends to cover the feeling from the discharge.

Likes hmmm27, sophiecentaur and berkeman
Jeff5522 said:
Spareine is correct.
I've got to agree. I have a big La-Z-Boy covered with microfiber that is zero steps from my TV. One good butt slide and my name is Van de Graaf. I can feel the static as I slide and the result is as expected.
I also once had an acrylic turtle neck that when pulled off over my head would draw arcs from the tips of my handlebar mustache. Cotton tee shirt underneath and lot of hair on my head . The first instance freaked me right out.

• Wow
Likes Tom.G
berkeman said:
A handful of small bits of paper would give comparative values of charge - open the basis of how many you can pick up with your hand from a plastic tray?I see no one has suggested trying wet socks! That would raise the humidity around your feet (In a nice way!) and limit build up of charge. Or just boiling a kettle every now and then.
froggy123 said:
and getting out the car! I used to get terrible electric shocks from the car door!
When they pick up casualties at sea with a helicopter, the first thing they do is to dip the line into the sea, before letting the crew of the boat grab it.
At one time, they sold light chains to dangle under cars, to avoid charge buildup.
They still sell these:
1612271294145.png

If I had this problem I would invest in an humidifier. They are relatively inexpensive.

sophiecentaur said:
At one time, they sold light chains to dangle under cars, to avoid charge buildup.
Never saw chains, but leather straps were extremely common on vehicles from the 1950's - 70's.
Apparently there was a link to the static buildup as being one cause of car/motion sickness

Fred Wright said:
If I had this problem I would invest in an humidifier. They are relatively inexpensive.
That is a solution but it's yet another box to find room for and to remember to fill up with water. I remember people used to have a simple form of humidifier which was a small trough of water, hung over a CH radiator. They did look a bit 'quaint' and were a modern equivalent of antimacassars in old persons' sitting rooms. But no one seems to like my wet socks idea.

davenn said:
leather straps were extremely common on vehicles from the 1950's - 70's.
Apparently there was a link to the static buildup as being one cause of car/motion sickness

From a physics point of view the straps must have been useless. Electrostatic charge on the car cannot affect the passengers. The car is a Faraday cage, so charge would move to the outside, and inside there would be no electric field. In addition, since the 1950's-1960's car tires are made sufficiently conductive to bleed away excess charge to Earth as fast as it is generated.

(Nor would such a strap prevent passengers to accumulate charge when leaving the car by sliding in their seat, and experience a spark when touching the door.)

I grew up in the 60's with winter static and, yes, you can get a real jolt. As kids we used to chase each other around, which made it all the worse when you got caught. My recollection was that leather sole shoes on Sunday were the worst but nothing seemed to spare you..

Ultimately, the solution was, and, I fear, still is, a humidifier (See also #29). Humidifiers have the advantage of also addressing the other problems of the ultra dry winter air (e.g., hair, skin, sinuses, static cling), not just the shocks. It can either be added to the HVAC for the whole house or individual units for the largest rooms. It does not have to be humid, just not so dry. Just barely below the point you start to get condensation on the inside of windows, and glasses with ice, is best.

In the 80's there were "new" ultrasonic humidifiers that were great and they are so much less expensive now. Some people have concerns about refilling and also bacteria. Refilling is what it is, for room units. There are carbon sticks you can put in the water for bacteria. I never liked adding chemicals to the water. The humidifiers we tried that used heat, rather than ultrasonic, started to get mineral deposits on the heating coils right away.

spareine said:
inside there would be no electric field.
I always understood that it was negative ions that came into the cab and made people feel unwell. The ions could be formed outside on sharp bits of the car body. A Faraday cage would need a very high potential to beat the air flow through the car.
I'm not actually endorsing the hypothesis about static and sickness. It is not a common problem these days - motion sickness is most likely due a subjective reaction to motion and suspensions (and roads) are much improved these days. Many remedies for this work on the placebo effect. If they work then use them.

sophiecentaur said:
motion sickness is most likely due a subjective reaction to motion
The last I heard (many years ago), motion sickness was attributed to the conflicting inputs to the inner ear and the eyes. It was/is considered a survival adaptation because some natural poisons, when ingested, upset the inner ear semicircular canals. The result is to regurgitate whatever was recently eaten.

This explanation is somewhat supported by the 'motion sickness' cure to watch the horizon. Those land-lubbers that have been below decks on a ship in rough weather or rode in an enclosed van on a rough road can attest to effectiveness.

Cheers,
Tom