Realistic acceleration (in g's) check?

In summary, the person is seeking a confirmation on their understanding of acceleration and the classical physics equations. They state that if an object is dropped, it should take approximately 5 cm (.102 sec) to reach 1 m/s. They also mention that if the stopping distance is 1 cm, the net acceleration would be roughly 5g, and if the stopping distance decreases to 3 mm, it would jump to around 17g. The person is looking for verification and shares that they are a bit rusty on the topic. Another person confirms that the understanding is correct and explains the relationship between kinetic energy and work.
johnpjust
Folks - doing some research and just needed a reality check on acceleration - let me know if this makes sense:

If I drop an object, it should take roughly 5 cm (.102 sec) to reach 1 m/s, correct? I'm using the classical physics equations for this (please do a quick verification on this).

Then, if I stop the object after it reaches 1 m/s, and the stopping distance is 1 cm, then I'm getting a NET accelleration of ROUGHLY 5g. Then if that stopping distance decreases to 3 mm it jumps to around 17g. Again, this is a net acceleration.

Just want to verify, I know this is easy, but figured i might as well as post it since I'm rusty at this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct.

You can derive the relationship based on equating kinetic energy and work. Halve the distance and you double the required force for a fixed kinetic energy. It's a simple inverse proportion.

Related to Realistic acceleration (in g's) check?

1. What is "g" in realistic acceleration check?

"g" refers to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. It is often used as a unit of measurement for acceleration.

2. Why is it important to perform a realistic acceleration check?

A realistic acceleration check is important in order to ensure the safety and reliability of any equipment or devices that will be subjected to acceleration forces. It helps identify potential issues or limitations and allows for adjustments to be made to prevent damage or failure.

3. How is a realistic acceleration check performed?

A realistic acceleration check is typically performed by subjecting the equipment or device to a range of acceleration forces and measuring its response. This can be done using specialized equipment such as an accelerometer or by simulating the acceleration using mathematical models.

4. What are some common units used to measure acceleration in realistic acceleration checks?

Acceleration can be measured in a variety of units, including meters per second squared, feet per second squared, and g-forces. In some cases, engineers may also use specialized units such as "g-units," which are multiples of the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does realistic acceleration check differ from other types of acceleration tests?

While other types of acceleration tests may focus on specific aspects of acceleration, such as shock or vibration, a realistic acceleration check aims to replicate the full range of forces that the equipment or device may experience in its intended use. This includes both linear and rotational accelerations, as well as any potential variations in direction or magnitude.