What is the initial velocity of the ball on a smooth ramp?

• Thread starter Fist of Justice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the young girl is having trouble with the third question where she needs to find the time first and then the initial velocity.
Fist of Justice
Hi, I am new to Physics. I'm having trouble solving these word problems. For the third question I need to find the time first and then the initial velocity?

1. A young girl gives her toboggan a push of 4.0 m/s up a hill. It slides up the hill slowing down at an acceleration of 8.0 m/s2 [down]. It comes to a stop and then slides back towards her speeding up at the same rate as it slowed down on the way up. If the girl has to run 48 m down the hill from where it first was pushed to get to where her sled stopped, find the elapsed time for the journey.

2. A porpoise jumps straight up and crashes back into the water at 8.9 m/s. The drag and buoyancy forces of the water slow the porpoise down with an acceleration of -9.3 m/s2 as the porpoise finally slows to a stop. Find the depth the porpoise reaches.

3. Sanna rolls a ball up to another person on a smooth ramp 19.6 m above her. The ball reaches the other person’s hands when it is traveling 4.9 m/s uphill. If the ramp angle slows the ball down by 3.7 m/s each second it travels up the ramp, find the initial velocity of the ball.

Physics news on Phys.org
What parts are you having trouble with? Start with telling us what you know or how far you've gotten. Are these homework?

No this is exercise for my exam, but I don't have the solutions to these questions. I've been trying to figure out these questions forever.

For #3, I think it's this

½mvo² = ½mv1²+mgh
vo = √(v1²+2gh) = 20 m/s

Am I right?

You have three problems here. Start a separate thread for each one in the introductory physics homework section (and please do use the template that appears when you start a thread there) and you'll get much better and more heful answers.

Locking this thread, but only so that the discussion can be restarted in the homework forums.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that caused the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

What are kinematics word problems?

Kinematics word problems are mathematical problems that involve applying kinematics concepts to real-world situations. These problems typically require the use of equations and formulas to solve for unknown variables such as distance, time, or velocity.

What are the key equations used in kinematics word problems?

The most commonly used equations in kinematics word problems are the equations for average velocity, average acceleration, and displacement:

Average velocity: v = Δx/Δt

Average acceleration: a = Δv/Δt

Displacement: Δx = v0Δt + 1/2at^2

How do you solve kinematics word problems?

To solve kinematics word problems, start by identifying the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Then, choose the appropriate equation(s) to use and plug in the given values. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation and make sure to include proper units in your answer.

What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics word problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics word problems include not properly identifying the given information, using the wrong equation, not converting units correctly, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.