Can you see inside a space ship moving at the speed of light?

In summary: No, because that observer is moving at a different speed than you are. The "time" that you are experiencing is relative to your own frame of reference, not to that other observer. In summary, the laws of physics would not be the same if you were traveling at the speed of light.
adimantium
Lets pretend I am in a spaceship and I am moving at the speed of light. There is a light bulb at the center of the ship. I understand that velocities don't simply add together, and the formula is v[itex]_{3}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{v_{1}+v_{2}}{1+\frac{v_{1}v_{2}}{c_{2}}}[/itex]. So the light would not be moving in your frame of reference. So if you look behind you, you would see darkness. But if you look in front of you, you could not see the light reflect off of the front walls of the ship, but couldn't you see the light that started in front of you? because that light would simply go toward you. I think if you looked behind you, you would see darkness. If you looked in front of you, you would see constant light. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
adimantium said:
Lets pretend I am in a spaceship and I am moving at the speed of light...

That's like saying "Let's pretend that there is an odd number that can be evenly divided by two..."; you'll be able to derive all sorts of strange and wonderful results, but they'll all be bogus because the premise itself is bogus.

In particular, the addition of velocity formula you're trying to use is derived from assumptions that are inconsistent with any observer moving at the speed of light, so if you try using it in your "let's pretend" scenario, the results of the calculation will be bogus.

Last edited:
adimantium said:
Lets pretend I am in a spaceship and I am moving at the speed of light.
A spaceship cannot move at the speed of light. You essentially are asking "what do the laws of physics say will happen if we violate the laws of physics?"

It's a nonsense question.

As I understand it, if you were moving at the speed of light you would not see anything at all because time would literally stop for you.

The whole point of "relativity" is that speed is always relative to some other reference. If you were in a spaceship moving, relative to me, at any speed less than the speed of light, you would see nothing at all different. Relative to the spaceship you are motionless.

taicleis said:
As I understand it, if you were moving at the speed of light you would not see anything at all because time would literally stop for you.

Not only is that not right, but it's also not the result that you get if you try setting your speed equal to the speed of light in the various equations of relativity.

One way of seeing this: Right now you are moving at 99.99999999% of the speed of light relative to some observer somewhere in the universe. Are you experiencing even the least little bit of "time slowing down"?

FAQ: Can you see inside a space ship moving at the speed of light?

1. Can you see anything outside the space ship when it is moving at the speed of light?

Technically, no. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object moving at the speed of light experiences time dilation and its length contracts to zero. This means that everything outside the space ship would appear frozen and infinitely compressed. Therefore, it is not possible to see anything outside the space ship when it is moving at the speed of light.

2. Can you see inside the space ship when it is moving at the speed of light?

Yes, you can see inside the space ship when it is moving at the speed of light. However, due to length contraction, the inside of the space ship would appear smaller and distorted. This means that the view inside would be significantly different from what it would normally be at rest.

3. Can you see the stars or other objects in the sky while traveling at the speed of light?

No, you cannot see any stars or objects in the sky while traveling at the speed of light. As mentioned before, time dilation and length contraction would make everything outside the space ship appear frozen and infinitely compressed. Therefore, the stars and other objects in the sky would not be visible.

4. How does the speed of light affect what you can see inside the space ship?

The speed of light affects what you can see inside the space ship by causing time dilation and length contraction. This means that the view inside the space ship would be distorted and appear different from what it would normally be at rest. Additionally, the faster the space ship travels, the more pronounced these effects would be.

5. Is it possible to see outside the space ship if it is traveling just below the speed of light?

Yes, it is possible to see outside the space ship if it is traveling just below the speed of light. At this speed, the effects of time dilation and length contraction would be less noticeable, allowing for a clearer view of the outside. However, as the speed increases towards the speed of light, the view would become increasingly distorted and eventually impossible to see.

Back