Master Linear Algebra: A Beginner's Guide to Vectors for Physics Students

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student asking for a recommendation for a simple and accessible book on vectors in linear algebra. They have already read several books but did not understand anything. They mention some Brazilian books recommended by their teacher, but did not understand the explanations and stopped reading. Another user suggests Meyer's "Matrix analysis and applied Linear Algebra" as a good book from the perspective of applied linear algebra. The student thanks them for the recommendation and expresses gratitude for the help.
Dany
Hi everybody, I'm a physics student and this is my first post here and i will begin asking one favor:
Anyone could recommend a simple and accessible book about vectors in linear algebra??
I'm already read several books and didn't understand anything.. :cry:
I really need to recover my "binary" grades lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dany said:
I'm already read several books and didn't understand anything.. :cry:

Which books? And what exactly was the problem with those books?

Did you try Meyer's "Matrix analysis and applied Linear Algebra"? From the perspective of applied LA it is one of the best books out there. It contains material on vector spaces and vectors as well though.

I'm from Brazil, and my teacher recommeded these books: "Linear Algebra" - Murray R. Spiegel; and these others are brazilians books: "Analytic geometry a vector processing" - Paulo Boulos, Ivan de Camargo; "Exercises of analytic geometry" - Francisco Blasi; "Linear Algebra" - Alfredo Steinbruch.
I started reading these books and don't understand some explanations and stopped reading. I never missed any classes at analytic geometry class and i did all the lists of exercises but if the teacher changes something i fail the test. I think that i don't understand everything, in other words, nothing.
This book of Meyer looks very nice, i will read it! ;)

Thanks for your attention and help.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What are the basic operations on vectors?

The basic operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product. Addition and subtraction are performed by combining the corresponding components of two vectors. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a single number). The dot product is a type of multiplication that results in a scalar value.

What is the difference between a row vector and a column vector?

A row vector is a vector that is represented as a horizontal row of numbers, while a column vector is a vector that is represented as a vertical column of numbers. The main difference is in their orientation, but they both contain the same information.

What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying each vector by a scalar and then adding them together. For example, if v and w are vectors, then the linear combination 2v + 3w is formed by multiplying v by 2 and w by 3, and then adding the two resulting vectors together.

How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. It is used to model and solve systems of linear equations, analyze and manipulate geometric objects, and perform operations on large datasets. Linear algebra also has applications in cryptography, signal processing, and economics.