Algebra Help for Desperate Junior: Solve Equations with Points and Slopes

In summary, a student is seeking help for a test in Algebra, specifically on solving a problem with two given points. They are looking for assistance in finding the equation for the line through these points in point-slope, slope-intercept, and standard form, as well as finding the intercepts. They have checked their textbook but were unable to find examples in the given format. Other users suggest checking the index for relevant formulas and concepts. The conversation is moved to another forum for better assistance.
brandon28
I'm a Junior, in my 3rd year of Algebra :grumpy:

I will probably just try a tutor, but... maybe somebody on here could help me for the time being. Here is an example of a test we take.

Solve:
(6, -3) (-4, 1)

Point Slope
Slope Intercept
Standard
Intercepts ( , ) ( , )

Could somebody please either tell me how to do those, or link me to a site that will? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked your textbook? Surely it has an example where they solve a problem just like this one?

All you need to do is write an equation for the line through these two points; the rest of the answers fall directly out of that equation.

- Warren

I did look in the back. They didn't give examples in the form of "(#,#) (#,#)" but written as an actual equation. How would I write my example out as an equation? or two? I am so confused. And greatly appreciative of help, thank you!

Solve:
(6, -3) (-4, 1)

Point Slope
Slope Intercept
Standard
Intercepts ( , ) ( , )
If that is the exact wording of the problem on a test, you should complain to whoever wrote the test. First, you don't "solve" two points. I guess the problem is to find equations of the line through those two points in "point, slope" form, "slope, intercept" form, and "standard form", and then find the intercepts. All of those are easy if you know what the words mean! I recommend you go to the back of your book again, but this time to the index! Look up each of those. If some or all are not in the index, look through the chapter that introduces straight line graphs.

Oh, and since this problem has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra" (yes, I know the word "algebra" is in there but this is a whole different thing!) I am moving it to Precalculus Homework where you might get more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well think of it first. Your textbook should at least very basically tell you what the formulas you should use for your homework.

In general, it always follows the equation [tex]y = mx + b[/tex]. From here, you can derive all your basic information for a graph. If you want standard form, use [tex]y_2 - y_1 = m (x_2 - x_1)[/tex].

Good luck!

What is "Desperate Student Seeking Help"?

"Desperate Student Seeking Help" is a common phrase used to describe a student who is struggling with their academic work and is in need of assistance.

What are some common reasons why a student might be considered "desperate"?

There are many reasons why a student might be considered "desperate." These can include having a heavy workload, feeling overwhelmed or lost in a subject, struggling with time management, or experiencing personal issues that are affecting their academic performance.

What are some ways a student can seek help when feeling desperate?

There are several options for students to seek help when feeling desperate. They can reach out to their teachers or professors for clarification or extra support, form study groups with classmates, attend tutoring sessions, or seek guidance from academic advisors. Additionally, many universities offer mental health services for students who may be struggling with personal issues.

How can seeking help benefit a desperate student?

Seeking help can benefit a desperate student in many ways. It can help them better understand the material, improve their grades, and reduce stress and feelings of overwhelm. Seeking help can also provide a support system and help a student feel less alone in their struggles.

Are there any resources available specifically for "desperate students"?

Yes, there are resources available specifically for "desperate students." Some universities offer special programs or workshops for students who are struggling academically. There are also online forums and support groups where students can connect with others in similar situations and receive advice and encouragement. Additionally, many universities have writing centers or math labs that offer extra support for specific subjects.